New sex link

I've thought about putting the silkie rooster over my barred Rock hens, but I can put pretty much any rooster over them and get sex links, so that's not really fun. My bantam cochins actually lay pretty good, I was surprised how well they lay. When they're not broody, of course!

But I could put the silkie over my non-barred hens--Welsummer, Wyandotte, Red, rsl, etc and still get sex links. Wouldn't work for the Easter eggers--that's what I'd really like to do!

Crossing a Silkie with a Cochin and the sexlink offspring will probably lay like two eggs a year, the rest of the time it'd be broody! I mean if super broody is what you going for then that cross its exellent.
I wonder tho if there is a way to breed for a Silkie like hen but with the egg laying habits of a mmmm lets say a Leghorn.
I was doing just that years ago, but the Fibromelanotic(black skin) breed was not silkie, but were Native American Stock, crossed with White Leghorns, but saddly I didnt get past the Back cross to Leghorn female

I was doing just that years ago, but the Fibromelanotic(black skin) breed was not silkie, but were Native American Stock, crossed with White Leghorns, but saddly I didnt get past the Back cross to Leghorn female

I was thinking more ;ike getting the feathering of a silkie on a leghorns body.
When you say Native American Stock do you mean a breed of chicken with back skin but not a silkie?

it was not a silkie and it was All black

this is one of the boys next to a F1 black skin pullet..

here is him with Fibromelanotic sister(Fm/fm+ id+/-)
Brothers2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom