New to goose egg incubation

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
A coworker gave me 6 goose eggs this morning kinda unexpectedly. He said they were Chinese white but may be colored like American buff. I’m guessing he has a mixed bunch. I’ve hatched quail,chicken,Turkey, and duck eggs repeatedly even have 2 incubators full now of chicken and quail eggs so I know all the basics. As far as waterfowl eggs when I was hatching duck eggs I found they did really well getting misted and having a cooling period during incubation. I guess my question is do these goose eggs need the same misting and cooling as duck eggs get and what days to start doing this. My duck eggs I usually started misting and cooling about 12 to 15 days in the process. What day should these go into lockdown I see they hatch anywhere from day 28 to 35 what day do you usually shoot for lockdown. The rest of the process looks pretty straightforward like other eggs just maybe running a little higher humidity. I live in south Alabama and always only dry incubate because of our wonderful amount of free humidity. My bators generally stay in the 40 to 50ish range without adding water or sponges. Any other info greatly appreciated.

Oh I do hope that works for you :fl otherwise you may have to continue hand turning. They are such heavy & large eggs compared to others. I used my a brinsea octagon and could only fit 9 in they took up that much room.

Jus an update on the eggs. So far 4 of the 6 eggs are showing life I’ve been cooking and spraying everyday or when I’m home at least. I ordered a different turner made for xl geese eggs and it works perfect. I’m still trying to figure out a closer lockdown day for these I’ve read anywhere from day 26 to 29. For geese eggs I’m thinking of just goin middle road since these are xl eggs and locking down at 28. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Do these goslings need the purina duck feed for the niacin like ducks or regular chick starter. I have both because we’re raising a zoo it seems I also have 30% game bird starter because I raise turkeys and have bobwhites incubating. I know the goslings can get angel wing like a duck so the protein intake should be cut at week 3 or 4 for the higher protein feed.

For goslings and ducklings I now only use Mazuri waterfowl starter for the first few weeks. Lots of people do lots of different things, but I really like how the tiny pellets float and don't turn into hard mush in water. After some time, the pellets turn a bit spongy and my little ones love it. There was also the claim that poop doesn't smell as bad when they eat Mazuri. I'm not one to judge poop stinks though. Chewy had a 2 bag deal. I've also had Tractor Supply order it for me in the past.
But, chick starter, duck food, all will work, just have to be aware of the niacin content and the possibility you will have to add more to most non-specific feeds. Also, from day 2, I give them clipped grass and dandelion leaves.

Back
Top Bottom