New to this! Heat lamp help.

Mrs Vdb

Hatching
May 7, 2023
Hello! I am a preschool teacher with a failed hatch attempt (unless some hatch as a surprise after day 27)! I just picked up 4 one week old chicks to bring into school tomorrow so the kids aren't devastated. There is a HUGE metal brooding box at school with lamps that I would like to avoid using because of its size and because I only have four little chicks. I currently have them in a box with a regular gooseneck lamp with a red bulb in it for heat. Is this something that I can continue for the next two weeks? I want to make sure they are warm enough and I am getting some mixed information from what I am looking up. If I am able to use this "regular" lamp, what bulb so you reccomend?

The big brooder is better as they'll double in size every week, need room to get away from the heat and make cleaning less of a chore.
The gooseneck might not be rated for that heat.

What is the temp under your lamp? I'm concerned it is too cold or too hot. Either will kill the chicks.

Does your school district have an FFA program ? If so, I advise reaching out to that teacher. If not, contact your local 4-H Educator to ask for guidance. Many county 4H programs have an 'embryology in the classroom' event, so the 4H Educator should be knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom