New York mini chickenstock 2016

Where are you located? I am very interested in attending with my two year old son. I doubt I'd gave anything to bring other than the pot luck, but I AM interested in getting a few more needs in my coop.
By the by, X should be hen and Y should be rooster. Lol. My mother is a cytogeneticist...
I'm located in Harpursville and more than happy to add another to the list.

As for the x y thank you I had no idea. Not something I paid much attention to in school. I was to interested in being a typical teen and thinking I already knew it all. Lol. I have a teen now who is going through that stage.

Lol, I grew up with an engineer father who was a professor at the college and a medical lab mother who was a science freak... I myself am a history buff who wanted to be a farm wife with lots of kids. Could you give me an idea of what part of ny you're in? My internet isn't that great, but I'm going to try looking it right now

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system
I think this is why they switched the letters in chickens. Boys are homozygous in poultry. Girls are homozygous in humans. X over y in human would be female over male. Xx over xy. In chickens the biys are zz and the girls are zw. So it would be z over w. Rooster over hen.
as if chicken math wasn't confusing enough. Now on to chicken science as well. My brain was thinking eggs and meat not math and science. Oh well I'm not giving up my flock.

as if chicken math wasn't confusing enough. Now on to chicken science as well. My brain was thinking eggs and meat not math and science. Oh well I'm not giving up my flock.

I like the genetics stuff. It's all pretty interesting. I just refigured some farm goals. If I break even in 2016 I'd be surprised, but my goal is self-sufficiency and profit in 2017 and beyond. The math isn't my favorite part, but the science and playing in the dirt is fun.

Last edited:
I like the genetics stuff. It's all pretty interesting. I just refigured some farm goals. If I break even in 2016 I'd be surprised, but my goal is self-sufficiency and profit in 2017 and beyond. The math isn't my favorite part, but the science and playing in the dirt is fun.
I don't like the science but the math and dirt are great. I should break even this year, as long as the husband get insurance switched or stops being such a brat about the insurance.

Do any of you by chance have lavender anything? I love the color and want to add it to my flock.

I have a lavender Orp who just started crowing - literally two days ago. If you want him, he's yours. I live in Binghamton so "Bob" (big Orpington boy) needs rehomed stat!

Last edited:
I have a lavender Orp who just started crowing - literally two days ago. If you want him, he's yours. I live in Binghamton so "Bob" (big Orpington boy) needs rehomed stat!
give me until Monday to convince my husband that "poor Bob really needs us or he will have to be put down. He's too young for that." Lol. I have a great flock that should take him in nicely. Could you send me a pic to use for bait?

Back
Top Bottom