New York mini chickenstock 2016

Hi, I am still going to attend with my toddler. I would like to purchase some chicks... of course I picked a bunch of rare breeds doing research... not ready for $20 chicks yet tho. My flock made it through the winter wonderfully, only to lose two hens too a fox because I broke my own rule and ran to the store. I am still learning a lot and hope to get pointers from you all. Especially about my Roo, Lord Stirling... Mr attitude and violence. Please don't just say kill him.
Let me know what to bring for food, you can tell me at the last minute cuz I can cook anything.. literally.
As far as what I sell... I do art. So bring me a picture of your favorite hen or roo... something and I will paint it for you commission style.

Hi, I am still going to attend with my toddler. I would like to purchase some chicks... of course I picked a bunch of rare breeds doing research... not ready for $20 chicks yet tho. My flock made it through the winter wonderfully, only to lose two hens too a fox because I broke my own rule and ran to the store. I am still learning a lot and hope to get pointers from you all. Especially about my Roo, Lord Stirling... Mr attitude and violence. Please don't just say kill him.
Let me know what to bring for food, you can tell me at the last minute cuz I can cook anything.. literally.
As far as what I sell... I do art. So bring me a picture of your favorite hen or roo... something and I will paint it for you commission style.

If he is attacking you then he thinks of you as a challenge. If you win the challenge every time then he'll stop attacking you. Unfortunately, if he's the kind of rooster that attacks people he will continue to attack others. It's in his personality. I'm not suggesting you kill him, but consider advertising him for sale to a home that needs a protective rooster. Why didn't he take out the fox?
I love the idea of a commissioned painting. I'll have to consider which chicken I like best. Haha.

I think he did attack the fox. One hen was missing, one was mortally injured but in the coop and he was on guard in the doorway... he goes after me at the strangest times. But I won't let him out if people are here. My toddler and older son, my dad, they've all been targeted. He is VERY protective of the flock, which is one reason he stays. Also, he's gorgeous.

I think he did attack the fox. One hen was missing, one was mortally injured but in the coop and he was on guard in the doorway... he goes after me at the strangest times. But I won't let him out if people are here. My toddler and older son, my dad, they've all been targeted. He is VERY protective of the flock, which is one reason he stays. Also, he's gorgeous.

Well it sounds like he's doing his job. It also sounds like you can only teach him that you are the lead rooster. He will likely never get nicer around kids or other people. My roos have always been good to me but they've never been threatened with real danger like a fox or other predators. If they drop their wings or flap I go right at them. My roos are young too so I can't speak about how to train older roos. I had a roo chase a pullet and I not only chased after him, I caught him and pinned him. He was unhurt and never messed with the pullet again. If they act in a threatening way in front of me they hear about it from me.

Yayhoo!!! Chicks are hatching. I get to bring them home soon, I hope. I will post pics once they are home. Cross your fingers some of them are WL × golden spitzhauben so the have a home already.

dont wait to let him take the fight to you ...take the fight to him ...run at ...go after him
Dont let him mate in front of you , Dont turn your back on him , Mke sure he moves out of your way .
Some Roosters arent trainable ...I hope he is .
So it was a FOX NOT a Hawk or eagle..
did the hen Make it ?

Last edited:
I'm getting excited about chickenstock! I just ordered my donations to the raffle. Some cool car decals and or an ornament! I'm also bringing the watermelon. On a bad note, my hatches did not go well. Only got 5 brahma chicks out of 30 eggs. Most made it to lockdown but did not hatch ( malpositions). Had the bators full, ducks, sweedish flowers, Polish and orps. Most of the sweedish flowers did not start, a few did and then quit. The ducks and the polish are developing but most of the air cells were loose on them so we'll see. The crele orp eggs fro fancy chick are developing and have nice air cells but they are small eggs. They look like pullet eggs to me. Hope I get some to hatch as I have heard nothing on my order of Orps from elsewhere.

Not sure if I will have anything to sell at chickenstock. I will know closer to that time.

I will have eggs for sure and if anyone will want chicks I will need to know soon so I can get an incubator set up.

I will also be posting pictures this evening of the chicks that @Susieq2015 hatched for me. I'm excited about the flock getting bigger.

Back
Top Bottom