New York mini chickenstock 2016

Is that normal behavior for that type of chicken? They're new, right? I wouldn't think they'd be sitting on your shoulder already! Wow. Wish mine would do that. Wait, no I don't! Then I'd have too much laundry to do. They have constantly dirty feet, unless they've been at my mom's, scratching around.
the chickens need a dog.
1f606.png

A few weeks ago when I was shuffling broodies & eggs & chicks, I put some 'dummy eggs' under a broody to keep her broody. The 'dummy eggs' consisted of eggs that had been washed and put in the refridgerator at least 2 weeks prior and then marked with a sharpe "X". I didn't think those eggs would have any chance of development. Well, one of those eggs hatched today and it's a chamois spitz. I think it's name will have to be "Sham-wow" bc wow, washed & refridgerated, that egg sure wanted to hatch! Here's Sham-wow w it's serama friend who is 2 days older:

Congrats! That's great!
So far the spitz broody is still very determined & still on the "dummy" eggs. I'll candle them at some point & see if they are developing or not. She has food & water right by her head & I think she's hardly moved, just a little to eat/drink.
The other spitz hasn't laid any eggs, but she's in a movable quarantine pen on grass where there's no nesting boxes. I planned to add some, but so far only a small % of what I wanted to get done, actually happened. Plus, she's still probably still adjusting, since there's 1 young pullet & 1 adult rooster & several young cockerels in there with her, since it's only a temporary place for all of them.

Well phooie!! I am trying to post a picture of Bob on the last part of his adventures. He has journeyed from Binghamton to Harpursville to the oven. He was a very "sweet" boy who "respected" everyone. Thank you again @myfivegirls for the lesson, I have 2 more that will be going soon. Sadly I need more layers and less crowers. Of the teens and babies I ended up with 2 more males.

Bob was so yummy. A bit tough due to cooking malfunction but flavor wise so good.

I'm glad Bob was tasty! They can also be a bit tough b/c they get exercise & don't just gorge themselves with feed like Cornishx. Also, I generally cook the older roosters & hens in the crockpot or use low, moist heat (covered dish in oven).

@Pyxis I guess I should ask what color my Guinea are. I'm so excited .

@PhoredaBurds I also need to know your egg markings so I know which eggs could be what color chick.

@Pyxis I guess I should ask what color my Guinea are. I'm so excited .

@PhoredaBurds I also need to know your egg markings so I know which eggs could be what color chick.

GC: Gold & Chamois
CS: Chamois/Silver (sex-linked)
BS: Blue Silver project
The numbers are the day of the month which the eggs were collected. Hope all of them hatch! You will likely get all the different colors.

Back
Top Bottom