Newbie - How do you feed chicks treats?

I was worried if I put anything for eating on the floor, the chick would start eating the poop and wood chips too. Will they just pick out the grit?
In that case I would offer it in a bowl. I don't use wood shavings in my brooders because they eat it. It's normal for chicks to eat poop accidentally so I wouldn't worry about that, especially if you clean the brooder regularly (every couple days or so).

I sprinkle the grit over their food. They'll find what they need.

If you cut the ends off of a small pickle-type cucumber, and peel it, they will peck at it while you hold it.

I also spread an old sheet, doubled up, on the floor, and make a corral of cardboard. Sit on the floor inside with the chicks, and enjoy. They will play with you, around you, on you. . . No treats required!

They don't need 'treats'.
I take a small hunk out sod out of the yard and sprinkle a tiny some chick sized grit over that.

http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

They don't need 'treats'.
I take a small hunk out sod out of the yard and sprinkle a tiny some chick sized grit over that.

http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.
That works to keep them occupied and build immunity. But the OP wants to hand-feed them treats so they become tame.

That works to keep them occupied and build immunity. But the OP wants to hand-feed them treats so they become tame.
Wet chick starter makes a very good treat for that purpose.

Chicks usually like it after they have tried it a time or two, and there are no worries about overdoing it and causing nutritional problems.

Wet chick starter makes a very good treat for that purpose.

Chicks usually like it after they have tried it a time or two, and there are no worries about overdoing it and causing nutritional problems.
I tried giving them wet feed and three of them absolutely loved it! They were hopping into my hand and giving me little pecks. The last one seems shy, but hopefully she’ll catch on when she sees the other ones get excited.

I have 4 chicks who are 7 days old and I want them to be tame and friendly. I hold them every day. Their brooder is next to my desk so I can watch them and talk to them. They only eat chick feed so far. When, how and what do I feed them as treats? I need explicit instructions; this is all new for me.
My 8 chicks are now 5 weeks old. At about a week I would crush some organic rolled oats in my hand and call them. I have grit available all the time. I did that once a day and it didn't take long for them all to come running to the corner of the brooder. As they got older I added tiny chopped broccoli florets, bits of tomato and chopped rehydrated raisins. I still hand feed them a small bit of treats every day. They know me now and come running to where I feed them as soon as they see me. Other than 1 skittish poulet, they all will jump up in my lap and roost on my arm.

Back
Top Bottom