Newbie! I’ve got Cows & Chickens

MilkFarmChickens

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
New to hatching chicks and trying to learn every single thing I can do right or wrong. My family has always had chickens on our ‘milk farm’ but I never paid a lot off attention beyond feeding and the basics, until I decided to start raising my own.

I have a barnyard mix, with a flock of RIRs that I added (with one very cool solid white one, Leucistic I believe it’s called).

I’m currently hatching some of our blue eggs out of our Ameruacana (sp?) rooster, Boris. He’s my favorite and almost died after being attacked (but I saved him!) and that prompted me to hatch some eggs from his genetics.

My biggest questions are:
  1. Where can I find Silver Spangled Hamburgs or hatching eggs for them? (I want to match our black & white cows!)
  2. How detrimental is turning eggs while hatching - if I miss a day when I’m working at our other ranch, will they all die? What stages are the most temperamental in the hatching process?

I have a lot of other pets, I love animals, and I run a Fire rescue crew to get animals out of fire zones which is quite an interesting task. (Have saved many a chicken! And I’ve got tips if anyone is prepping for fire season - don’t allow animal rescue to put your hens in a Tupperware, for instance…🥵)

I’ve been reading BYC for many months after finding it on an internet search, and have learned TONS!!! And finally decided to become a real member. Thank you ALL for your insightfulness and how welcoming everyone is of eachother - seems to be “no stupid question” and I really appreciate that energy.

New to hatching chicks and trying to learn every single thing I can do right or wrong. My family has always had chickens on our ‘milk farm’ but I never paid a lot off attention beyond feeding and the basics, until I decided to start raising my own.

I have a barnyard mix, with a flock of RIRs that I added (with one very cool solid white one, Leucistic I believe it’s called).

I’m currently hatching some of our blue eggs out of our Ameruacana (sp?) rooster, Boris. He’s my favorite and almost died after being attacked (but I saved him!) and that prompted me to hatch some eggs from his genetics.

My biggest questions are:
  1. Where can I find Silver Spangled Hamburgs or hatching eggs for them? (I want to match our black & white cows!)
  2. How detrimental is turning eggs while hatching - if I miss a day when I’m working at our other ranch, will they all die? What stages are the most temperamental in the hatching process?

I have a lot of other pets, I love animals, and I run a Fire rescue crew to get animals out of fire zones which is quite an interesting task. (Have saved many a chicken! And I’ve got tips if anyone is prepping for fire season - don’t allow animal rescue to put your hens in a Tupperware, for instance…🥵)

I’ve been reading BYC for many months after finding it on an internet search, and have learned TONS!!! And finally decided to become a real member. Thank you ALL for your insightfulness and how welcoming everyone is of eachother - seems to be “no stupid question” and I really appreciate that energy.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom