Newbie Needs HELP!! Feeding Pullets and Older Hens

naznaz11

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
I have been feeding my baby chickens Scratch and Peck Naturally Free Starter. It is 100% organic and corn and soy free. it has
  • 20.5% Protein
  • 4% Fat
  • 5.6% Fiber
Once my baby chickens are fully grown into hens, will it be safe if I just feed them this starter feed for the rest of their lives? I have a big backyard and plenty of space for them to roam. There is plenty of dirt and rocks too for grit. I will also give them calcium from eggs shells once in a while too.

Again, is it safe if I just give them this starter feed? I have heard that the layers and grower feeds have less protein and therefore will cause problems once the hens are bigger.

thanks!

https://www.farmstore.com/product/scratch-and-peck-naturally-free-starter-40-lb/

Yes, it is safe. If you decide to feed them this, they need oyster shell available all the time, not just once in a while.
thank you for your fast reply!

should i just crush up the eggs shells into powder and put it in a different container next to their starter feed?

You'll need more than egg shells. Either oyster shell, or some layer feed mixed in as well. Every time they lay an egg it uses up calcium - if you then feed back the shell, they don't get 100% of the calcium they output, back in, so you're losing more and more calcium over time.

Otherwise yes it's safe to feed starter for life if you wish. I do recommend that you serve this feed fermented or at least wet, as the vitamins and proteins which are added to make this a complete feed are in the powdery fines which don't tend to get eaten when served dry.

thank you for your fast reply!

should i just crush up the eggs shells into powder and put it in a different container next to their starter feed?
Yes, but you need oyster shells as well. Oyster shells are a slow release form of calcium, while egg shells are a fast release form of calcium. The slow release is much better for the hens than having a quick burst of calcium. Mixing the two works well so the hens can choose what they want at the moment.

From what I have read laying hens need 16 percent protein. Your kinda throwing away the extra protein.
Layer feed will have calcium in it.

You'll need more than egg shells. Either oyster shell, or some layer feed mixed in as well. Every time they lay an egg it uses up calcium - if you then feed back the shell, they don't get 100% of the calcium they output, back in, so you're losing more and more calcium over time.

Otherwise yes it's safe to feed starter for life if you wish. I do recommend that you serve this feed fermented or at least wet, as the vitamins and proteins which are added to make this a complete feed are in the powdery fines which don't tend to get eaten when served dry.
X2

Yes, but you need oyster shells as well. Oyster shells are a slow release form of calcium, while egg shells are a fast release form of calcium. The slow release is much better for the hens than having a quick burst of calcium. Mixing the two works well so the hens can choose what they want at the moment.
so should i mix 50% starter with 50% layer and add some eggs shells on the side.

would be suffice?

Back
Top Bottom