No crow rooster collar...?

Jdc361

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2015
I really like the way roosters look and i would kinda like some chicks once i get my hens. Im going to get 6 hens and might get 1 rooster. The only thing is that it cant be loud. Do no crow rooster collars work? What is the friendliest breed of rooster? Thanks!

I have had success with no crow collars, though one of my roosters was still pretty loud even with it one. When using one you have to remember that they need upkeep. It's not like you can just stick it on and leave him. I check the boy's collars everyday, and adjust as needed. There is also a slight risk of them getting it caught on something and breaking their necks...i haven't had it happen, but heard of such cases.
as for rooster breed, my Brahma roosters have always been pretty friendly, but if you don't care about egg breeds of roosters, my favorites are the cochins. they are so friendly, and love to cuddle. Mine always run up to me and jump up to be petted...so cute. I've also had more than 1 cochin rooster that didn't need a collar, cause he was so quiet. the females are not the greatest layers though, i use my cochin hens to hatch eggs cause they are really broody and good mothers.
good luck!!

Ok thanks... But can someone explain how a collar works? Like what does it do?

oh, a chicken has a voice box near it's throat, and to make the loud noises, a rooster must inflate the voice box to make their loud sounds. by putting the collar on, you are making it so the voice box cannot inflate, and cause them to be about as loud as a hen. pretty nifty invention :)

Mine have always been fine, with no problems as long as i check it and adjust it daily. There are horror stories about how they got caught on things and broke their necks, but i keep their coop and pastures pretty safe :) after the boy learns it's not going to kill him, they usually are just fine with wearing them, but when you first put it on, get out your camera, lol. They are a riot to watch trying to get the darn collar off :D

Hello, I thought I would tack my post on here as I am trying to quickly get some answers regarding the no-crow collar. I made a no-crow collar for our roo, which worked like a charm until the day before yesterday. Suddenly his crow got MUCH louder, and I'm in the city so need to solve asap or he's dinner. I've checked the position and tightness of the collar, both of which seem fine (collar hasn't moved or loosened).

I have no idea what is going on. I'm grasping at straws here, but wondered if maybe his air sac has moved or has gotten bigger as he is maturing? Maybe I need a wider collar? Other thoughts? He is just over 4 months old,mixed heritage breed, and is mating with the ladies already.

Thanks.

I bought one from the manufacturer- I use it on my bantam Cochin. It isn't 100% but with many days of finding the right adjustment I can get it to be somewhat effective. It has to be very low on the neck and much tighter than I thought would be even possible!
I use the collar and leaving him in the coop until a more appropriate hour- 7am everyday and it works like a charm- but then I remove the collar around 9am because he does seem to have trouble managing food in his crop with the collar and he spits it up.

Back
Top Bottom