Jubilee orpington did not laying at age9 months

honorkt

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
Hello....
I have J. Orpington 2xrooster and 1 hen, both at age 9months. they have excellent health and they free range...

Hen she look matured .. but she did not lay any yet

Rooster i do not think he is Matured yet.. he did not crowing yet not even tried it.. as other breed i noticed rooster at age 5-6 crowing or trying to

so any suggest

For what? Some breeds or even bloodlines are slow to mature.
i start having chicken a year ago with no experience, so i did some research and found out Orpington laying around 5 - 6 months.. for that i was wondering if im doing something wrong like feed, or 2x rooster with one hens or as you said Bloodlines which is just knew it...

Bloodlines definitely impact laying age. If your birds came from a breeder, it is likely they will be a bit older before laying. Hatcheries select for early laying which I think is where the 5-6 month old figure came from. Larger heritage breeds need more time mature. Hopefully that helps.

Bloodlines definitely impact laying age. If your birds came from a breeder, it is likely they will be a bit older before laying. Hatcheries select for early laying which I think is where the 5-6 month old figure came from. Larger heritage breeds need more time mature. Hopefully that helps.
that make sense.. thank you

You're welcome. Weather, temperature, and daylight hours can also impact when a pullet begins to lay. So if a hen reaches maturity in the dead of winter it's possible she won't begin to lay until the days get longer and it warms up a bit. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom