NOISY chickens!

M&M - England

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 4, 2017
Have read numerous comments about noisy chickens in small gardens / residential areas so I thought would post this. Our first 3 (of which there's only 1 left!) were fairly quiet except of course when they lay! We now have another 4 - about a year old now. They have become progressively louder and louder in mornings to the point it's driving us nuts - and no doubt the neighbours! They are happy / healthy / not spoilt etc. I saw few comments about a radio on a timer - set one up last night in run/coop to switch on at 6am (tuned in to Classic fm). Just used zip/cable ties onto vent grill. Blissfully quiet this morning!!! Hopefully it will continue............. I will let you know!?! Darker mornings soon so not as bad then anyway...... will be posting photos of coop / run at some point as I took inspiration / ideas from others on this site - good to share.

upload_2017-9-4_11-58-57.png
upload_2017-9-4_12-0-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-4_11-53-22.png
    upload_2017-9-4_11-53-22.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to BYC...great first post!

Are they squawking to be let out to range?
Hope the radio keeps working for ya.

Good morning aart.
If the squawking to be let out to range question was for me..... Nope I just have some very noisy BSL in my group. My other breeds are very quiet but those two are chatty Kathie's all day long.

We thought the noise was initially to be let out of run (*) or demanding food in addition to pellets (**) - but its not!! They carry on regardless - they just like being loud it seems!! Garden isn't huge but they don't know any different! Also I think two of them very noisy during whole process of laying - not just at end - and at least one when queuing up to lay!!

*pop-hole left open to run with leather curtain unless extreme weather
** changed to mash for a while as thought it might keep them more occupied and quieter. But no; just wasted more on the floor and must have been selective as soft shells within a few weeks. Now back to pellets!!

update to follow at weekend - in London every day now for rest of week

Back
Top Bottom