Non-food related ways to entertain chickens on ‘flockdown’ for avian flu

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Hello BYC friends! 👋🏻

As you probably know we’re on ‘flockdown’ for avian flu here in the U.K. but since it happened the last few winters, we were fairly well-prepared in terms of run space. Our flock has a roomy shed overnight (it’s really very spacious thankfully) and instead of being let out into our orchard they get access to a polytunnel which has wire mesh for the walls and a sort of tarp for a roof to keep wild bird droppings out. We have wood chip on the floor and the set-up is working great, but I’d LOVE your ideas to keep things interesting for the girls! I feel sorry for them really.

I give them foodie things for entertainment but am keen not to dilute their primary feed too much and would love some non-food ideas (they sometimes have an alfalfa and grit pecking block and right now they have some greens in a mini net which last them a while). Does anybody have any tried and tested ideas for things to make life a bit more interesting please? I’ve read about swings and ladders for example but I’m never sure if they would actually get used or if they add much to the chooks’ lives? Let’s be honest, food is their main interest 😂

A bale of straw perhaps? Some leaves?

Bale of hay would be fine. I continued to use dried leaves and dried grass because I store them for up to a year before they get used, which greatly lowers any risk of disease transmission.

General clutter would also be good, to give them things to play on. So that would include ladders, roosts, and anything else that's chicken safe that they can interact with in some manner. Lots of ideas in this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

A bale of straw perhaps? Some leaves?

A bale of straw with one tie cut (or not, depending on the integrity of the straw -- some are already loose), is a fabulous form of chicken entertainment.

Also, things to perch on, to get on top of or under, and other things to scratch through.

A pallet up on blocks is one of flock's favorites.

Thanks all for these great tips! My brain was not at all engaged when I suggested leaves and didn’t take the contamination risk into account, duh.

One end of one of the sheds (we have two joined together with a hole cut out in the wall for them to access it) has a floor like a giant dust bath so that is covered. They have free access to mixed grit but I confess I was a bit worried about giving straw due to the impaction risk, seems like that could be OK though. They have a couple of chairs and other things to climb on but it’s not very thrilling - I’ll definitely see what we can do with pallets and other bits as we have all sorts knocking around!

It has always made me happy to see our chooks strolling around enjoying the space and I just feel bad for them confined, but I know it’s for their own safety and I guess we can only do our best.

Know it's not in the food category, but I've seen videos of chickens with xylophones, and they seem very entertained.
Food wise I always give them fruits as snacks, a bit of orange, papaya, cantaloupe; flour tortillas, cooked black beans; the occasional cooked fish fillet or cooked trout scraps from when I extract the fillet from the whole trout. They seem to love them all.

Back
Top Bottom