Non GMO feed?

slingshotandLAR

Songster
6 Years
May 24, 2013
I have some questions for all that use non GMO feed....

We've been looking at switching or at least trying. I called the local mills and feed stores and they told me they couldn't get me any because that cannot guarantee that the feed is uncontaminated!!

So I guess that begs the question, if they say they can't guarantee it what's everybody using?? And is it guaranteed?

I have some questions for all that use non GMO feed....

We've been looking at switching or at least trying. I called the local mills and feed stores and they told me they couldn't get me any because that cannot guarantee that the feed is uncontaminated!!

So I guess that begs the question, if they say they can't guarantee it what's everybody using?? And is it guaranteed?

There are a few different ways of looking at this...

1. Unless it is organic or certified non-gmo, it probably is gmo.

2. If it is certified Organic, then it should legally not be gmo but not everyone trusts this. Some "organic" wheat and corn farmers have had their crop tested only to find out it was contaminated. I have heard most alfalfa in the United States is also contaminated with gmos.

3. If you do not trust the organic label, you can make your own feed mix that avoids gmo crops such as wheat, corn, soy and alfalfa. That is what some people do. (If you're interested I can send you a link to some feed mix recipes.)

Hope this helps.

There are a few different ways of looking at this...

1. Unless it is organic or certified non-gmo, it probably is gmo.

2. If it is certified Organic, then it should legally not be gmo but not everyone trusts this. Some "organic" wheat and corn farmers have had their crop tested only to find out it was contaminated. I have heard most alfalfa in the United States is also contaminated with gmos.

3. If you do not trust the organic label, you can make your own feed mix that avoids gmo crops such as wheat, corn, soy and alfalfa. That is what some people do. (If you're interested I can send you a link to some feed mix recipes.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks....

The biggest issue I have is the mills not offering even the ingredients I need to mix my own. They say they won't sell it because they can't trust it.

I assume it will get better.... At least I hope it will

What do they mean they can't trust it? Do they sell ingredients that is supposed to be nongmo and they think it is gmo? Or do they sell regular ingredients and just don't know...? I don't understand why they won't sell these things.

What kind of ingredients are you actually trying to buy that they won't sell?

Are you anywhere on the west coast? If so, find a dealer who carries it and buy Bar Ale. They offer a non-GMO option - it's certified non-GMO, and although it's not certified organic, it's made with organic ingredients. They also offer a 100% certified organic option, but basically... you're paying about $5 extra bucks to have a label which says "certified".

For reference, 22% non-GMO turkey grower is their recommended ration for broilers. I use it for my entire flock though, turkeys, layers, roos, etc. Top quality stuff for a great price.

Also, x2 on the Scratch and Peck - if you can find it and afford it. I've heard it's difficult to find and expensive to buy, but also an A+ feed in terms of quality and nutrition. No idea if they do offer a broiler ration, though.

Monsanto pollen has contaminated much of the heirloom, non-gmo, seed. I have trouble believing the non-gmo claim to some feeds when they contain soybean.

It's somewhere around 95% of all soybean grown in the states is monsanto seed, and the rest are contaminated in some way.

Now, chickens live just fine on gmo feed, it's the contamination and lawsuits that have turned me away from monsanto in my daily life, but my chickens eat gmo feed. It is easy on my wallet and the chickens aren't complaining.

Monsanto pollen has contaminated much of the heirloom, non-gmo, seed. I have trouble believing the non-gmo claim to some feeds when they contain soybean.

It's somewhere around 95% of all soybean grown in the states is monsanto seed, and the rest are contaminated in some way.

Now, chickens live just fine on gmo feed, it's the contamination and lawsuits that have turned me away from monsanto in my daily life, but my chickens eat gmo feed. It is easy on my wallet and the chickens aren't complaining.

Yeah, this right here is one of the great things about Bar Ale. Most of their non-GMO products are soy and corn free, so they have a pretty **** good chance of being pure. Not all, but most, including their main laying rations. Plus they're very cheap given the quality.

EDIT: Oh come on, when did d a m n become that bad of a word? Really? Ya'll are cramping my style.

Last edited:
What do they mean they can't trust it? Do they sell ingredients that is supposed to be nongmo and they think it is gmo? Or do they sell regular ingredients and just don't know...? I don't understand why they won't sell these things.

What kind of ingredients are you actually trying to buy that they won't sell?

They do not sell non GMO feed period.....

As someone said above with any of the soybean and corn feeds, they refuse to offer it because as most know it's almost impossible for it to actually be GMO free.

They told me the options they have cannot be proven to be pure so they won't lie to their customers and sell them a product they can't verify. It's not just one place either, I've called all within reasonable distance and get the same story.

One of the things I find most interesting about this is if it's as difficult as they say it is are most that are feeding non GMO really doing so?

I'm on the east cost, upstate NY.

Back
Top Bottom