Nope!

First off - Yes I changed my avatar to some of my babies from my first hatch.

Now: I have a question for all you chicken pros and for the Brinsea knowers:
I own a Brinsea Octo 20 with rocker. No I do not have the added humidity thing.

I had 7 eggs that did not hatch...I am fine with this as 18 did. For me to learn what it is I am doing I did a "necropsy" or eggcropsy on them.
2= no development. Little black spot and then nothing. They did not smell bad.
3= Not quite fully developed, maybe 14-15 days old (guessing by using a web site that a friend sent to me - it shows daily visuals of fetuses).
1= Very young maybe 12 day development
1= Fully developed, very large chick.

Opened day 8 for candeling. Opened to add water. DH opened after 8 chicks hatched to move eggs because it was getting crowded. I opened to take 8 chicks out.

Heat = constant 99.5-99.7
Humidity = constant 40-45% throughout incubation. (other than spikes when I added more to the channel).
Lockdown = Day 18. Humidity up to 65%. But, upon filling channels the humidity would spike to 80% or more and hang there unless I slightly lifted lid and "burped" the high humidity out. Do this a few times and the humidity would finally level off, be in the 70s.

My questions now:
1. So, 3 eggs were not fully developed. Upon doing necropsy....there did seem to be a lot of liquid. Did I have humiidity too high? Could they have drowned. The fully developed egg did not have a lot of liquid. Looked fine.
2. Can the hatched chicks jostling everything around cause damage?
3. Is it okay for the humidity to spike like this? Should I be adding cooler water? What is the max for the humidity for me not to worry?
4. If they drowned, is this because the eggs were more porous and more water got in?

I am just learning and would love any information, input, critisism, comments. All information is helpful. I may edit as I remember more questions.

I am new to this as well but I do know that your humidity will go all crazy once they start to hatch. Don't worry about! Don't even look at your guage. On the one that was fully developed is it possible it was pipped and when you opened it to get others out it shrink wrapped? Just a thought. I think the others probably just had something wrong with them. It doesn't appear that you did anything wrong. I had 8 out of my 18 that didn't hatch and they were all almost fully grown. I don't know the answer to why they died either. HTH

ETA I don't think the chicks jostling them around can damage them. Once they start to hatch the noise and movement usually prompts the others to come out! We have to remember that they normally do all this underneath a broody and not in a controlled environment and the broody doesn't worry about them jostling around.

Last edited:
9 developing eggs went into lockdown, 6 hatched this weekend. This was my first hatch, so I'm sure I've a lot to learn but I'm pretty happy with my fluffy, happy chicks! 3 Salmon Faverolles, 1 Black Copper Marans, and 2 Golden Cuckoo Marans/Light Sussex crosses. The first hatched on day 20, the rest all hatched on day 21.
Thanks to my Brinsea and clear instructions AND to wonderful BYCer's for getting me through the process. I appreciated a little extra hand holding when I was nervous right after lock down.

Here is my very first baby hatched on day 20 - a Golden Cuckoo Marans/Light Sussex! Shhh... The baby's sleeping...
54793_whitey_fords_chick.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in! I didn't realize there would be a hatch along this month or I would have signed up sooner. I set the following on April 27th:

- 6 EE
- 7 Silkie
- 12 Cochin

I went into lock down on Saturday, May 14th, and have 2 babies hatched so far today - 1 Cochin and 1 EE - with a bunch more eggs pipped!
celebrate.gif

I'll get a picture in a bit and post it here and on FB.

Quote:
So true. My DH keeps reminding me of this. Thank you for the input. I just want to make sure that there was nothing in my control that I could have done to help the situation out.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Please note that this may seem like I have asked the same questions only in a different fashion...I probably have. The below is a copy I did from another thread. I am curious regarding the pre-lockdown humidity. Maybe I am adding water that is too warm (probably baby bottle warm) when I refill chanels every 3 days. Maybe I should get the humidity controler unit that attaches from the outside? Would it help to stabalize my humidity?

I have a Brinsea, and it spikes too when the chicks hatch. They are wet and this adds to the humidity I am sure. But when I add water (before lockdown) the humidity tends to spike. When I add the water it is warm water from the tap. I am just afraid that during the time period when the humidity should be 40-45% and I add water and it spikes to 85% (or more) and would stay at this level if I did not open the lid a crack and "burp" the humidity down?...is this okay and it will eventually normalize itself? or should I continue to do my lid burping to get the humidity down - again, this is before lockdown and the need for upping humidity.

I wonder...how long would it take for this to normalize on its own?
Maybe I should be adding water that is a bit cooler?
I think I will do a test and run the incubator empty and see what happens.

Anyone else experience? Will the humidity come down to the 40% like I want in a fairly rapid time? Remember this is prior to day 18. Maybe I just worry too much.
big_smile.png

Here's my entry for this month's contest. I have absolutely NO idea how many have hatched out of the 26 I set (I didn't candle at lock down), but I know it's getting mighty crowded in there!
clap.gif

31787_can_we_come_out_yet_small.jpg

Here's my entry:

tn_poult-chick.jpg

I had a pretty great hatch - out of the 11 poult eggs that went into lockdown, 10 have hatched (so far - still giving that last one some more time). Out of the four chicken eggs that went into lockdown, all four hatched. They are all doing great.

Quote:
Adorable!

FYI - in case you don't already know - don't keep the chicks and poults together. Chickens can carry black head and show no signs, and it is deadly to turkeys and spreads like wildfire.

FYI - in case you don't already know - don't keep the chicks and poults together. Chickens can carry black head and show no signs, and it is deadly to turkeys and spreads like wildfire.

While I know this is often a concern for people, I have raised turkeys and chickens together and know quite a few others who have as well. Just my 2 cents
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom