North Carolina

I have a question and seeing if anyone else has experienced this before. One of our hens does this really weird stomping thing when we approach her from a certain angle. It's the funniest thing, she stomps and gets low to the ground and lifts her wings up but doesn't extend them out. What sort of behavior is this?

Sounds like she is doing "the squat." Hens do this as submissive behavior towards roosters, but sometimes do it towards their people. Most of mine do this when I walk up to them.

Quote:
It sounds like a combination between the squat that hens do to mate and what roosters do when woooing the girls. Confused hens?
idunno.gif

NewHomesteader2010 posted While the door on the top was a GREAT idea to put food/water in...it did NOT make for an easy time getting chicks out and moved ts their new home.
Note to self.... when I build my new brooder add side door as well as top door. thanks, I would have done the same thing.

Great weekend, warm, let everyone out to play, built new laying boxs as we moved 6 teenagers in with the Summer babies, adding a new flock and waiting a couple of more weeks to move the rest, 13, to a new coop. Redid some of the older coops and of course had to go to the dump. Why is it when it gets warm the first time women think SPRING CLEANING??? The dump was full of men dumping stuff and we all agreed, it's still winter. sighs...

one a final note. why do I live on the east side, close to New Bern and everyone else lives in central and western NC. Makes making the Shows, swaps and other fun things nearly impossible. I have too many animals to care for to lose a complete day traveling and having fun. sheesh...

But one day I SHALL MAKE ONE OF THEM.

NewHomesteader2010 posted While the door on the top was a GREAT idea to put food/water in...it did NOT make for an easy time getting chicks out and moved ts their new home.

Note to self.... when I build my new brooder add side door as well as top door. thanks, I would have done the same thing.

Great weekend, warm, let everyone out to play, built new laying boxs as we moved 6 teenagers in with the Summer babies, adding a new flock and waiting a couple of more weeks to move the rest, 13, to a new coop. Redid some of the older coops and of course had to go to the dump. Why is it when it gets warm the first time women think SPRING CLEANING??? The dump was full of men dumping stuff and we all agreed, it's still winter. sighs...

one a final note. why do I live on the east side, close to New Bern and everyone else lives in central and western NC. Makes making the Shows, swaps and other fun things nearly impossible. I have too many animals to care for to lose a complete day traveling and having fun. sheesh...

But one day I SHALL MAKE ONE OF THEM.
I am really glad our goof-up has helped someone!!
big_smile.png
I had an inkling of an idea it would be problematic but DH assured me that it would work just fine (and it did for the intended purpose).
gig.gif

LOL...I didn't think of spring cleaning (maybe that's because I LOATHE cleaning) but I was itching to get my hands in some nice soft dirt and start planting...something (even though my seeds haven't arrived...YET). Poor DH was trying to motivate himself to get some work done in the greenhouse/garden area for me, but it was so nice out...he wanted to go into the woods looking for wood to work on. LOL poor guy!!
fl.gif
Crossing my fingers that you will one day be able to make it to one of the shows!! I just made it to my first one in December and it was fun (albeit a bit overwhelming...there's SO much going on)!! Great people to chat with and more to meet with!!

Oh, I hated having to go to work today, when it's still so warm! But I'm home now! I shut the pasture gates and let the calves out for their first ever pasture experience. They were a blast to watch racing and running and kicking up their heels.

The person I got them from is also thinking about selling their stacked brooder system. I'm hoping they'll sell it at a price I can afford. Those things are awesome, and awesomely expensive, too. But it would come it real handy to have that for brooding chicks, especially with all the hatching I'll be doing this spring.

Speaking of which, I just put thirty eggs in lockdown. I know some are clear, but if it wasn't leaking, it went in. My light isn't good, so I'm not even trusting calling it clear right now. These are the eggs that spent ten days in Priority shipping! Keep your fingers crossed! Then next week I have Buff Brahmas due to hatch, followed by German New Hampshires the week after.

OMG! I'm turning into Beth!
229.gif

Okay. I can live with that.
SEVeyesC08_th.gif

Back
Top Bottom