North Carolina

Wouldn't a quick call to who ever is handing out these fines be the best way to straighten it out?
That might work, but I've seen where people have been complaining of buying sick birds from swaps and auctions.....I personally know every person I've gotten birds from on here are VERY healthy and I know mine are as well.
On another note I have some young swedish flowers if anyone is interested please pm...also have a few POL hens that I could let go. PM for pictures and what not

OK, the NC Laws for selling birds are the same as they have always been. If you want to sell from your property you DO NOT need a permit to sell birds. If you sell birds at a flock swap, chickenstock, or any place OFF your property you NEED a permit to legally sell poultry(greencard).

Print, fill out, check "Poultry/Ratite Dealer(no fee)", mail/fax it in.
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/forms/documents/PoultryDealerLicenseApplicationForm_Blank_04_12.pdf

You will get your greencard in 3-10 days. Fax is fast.

This only covers juvenile-adult birds. If you want to sell chicks that is $10. Also $10 for hatching egg dealer. That is if you want to do everything legally.

NOTE that "A separate application must be filled out for each category."

Each year they release a statement that there will be Vets showing up at swaps/sales to check. So far I have never been checked in the last 8 years. This year may be different, but who knows. I do keep my greencard up to date for selling poultry in case I need it, but that is all.

Matt

Just curious... does the card prove something (like health or what not) or is it like the stickers on vehicle license plates - just proving tax has been paid?

Last edited:
Anyone from NC want to join up on this interactive map?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/740342/interactive-byc-map

I put mine on there - I was the ONLY one in NC!
hmm.png

Quote:
Just curious... does the card prove something (like health or what not) or is it like the stickers on vehicle license plates - just proving tax has been paid?

Technically when you sell a bird you are supposed to record the names, address, and contact info of the buyer and record what you sold them and where it came from. You are supposed to keep this info for 3 years(i think). That way there can be trace back if their is a problem. The greencard means squat as far as health, just that you are legal and your info is on record in Raleigh.

The poultry dealers you see at swaps, sales, and shows all have their greencards. You know the ones that have those poor birds stuffed tight in cages. Those birds are bought and sold as fast as possible. None are checked for health. They have no care for the birds, just for what they can make off them. These are people I avoid like the plague, because that is exactly what may end up in your own flock.

Matt

Last edited:
Quote:

Technically when you sell a bird you are supposed to record the names, address, and contact info of the buyer and record what you sold them and where it came from. You are supposed to keep this info for 3 years(i think). That way there can be trace back if their is a problem. The greencard means squat as far as health, just that you are legal and your info is on record in Raleigh.

The poultry dealers you see at swaps, sales, and shows all have their greencards. You know the ones that have those poor birds stuffed tight in cages. Those birds are bought and sold as fast as possible. None are checked for health. They have no care for the birds, just for what they can make off them. These are people I avoid like the plague, because that is exactly what may end up in your own flock.

Matt

Question : If we are invited to bring our birds/chicks/eggs to a flock swap at a feed store...are we covered under their green card. (if they even have one) ??

I was going to go and sell a few birds this weekend but can't afford a fine......guess I shall be staying home(probably a good thing since there is SOOO much to do at home)
I looked up all the laws associated with poultry, and as long as you aren't selling 30 dozen eggs a week or more, and you aren't selling more than a thousand chickens then it doesn't look like any rules apply...I could be wrong...but here is the NCDA&CS website...
http://www.ncagr.gov/meatpoultry/packets.htm

Back
Top Bottom