North Carolina

Quote:
So I am showing my newbie-ness here by asking, :oops:but how do you tell if one is a pullet or roo?? (Do I WANT to know??)
lau.gif

Morning to all...almost afternnoon!

Story...those pictures are great!!!!

I have 2 call duck eggs pipped.
ya.gif
I am really excited about these. Only 4/8 made the shipping trip. 1 may be a quitter, but I put it in the hatcher anyway.
Lots more chicken eggs developing nicely.
smile.png

Quote:
There are 3 total, one is showing signs of being a boy, the other is starting to look on the fence that it could go either way and the other is younger but yes is a pullet as she has no comb at all. With the lavs sometimes even pullets can have a bit bigger comb at a young age so they will fool you for a long time about what they really are.
hu.gif
Up till recently neither of the two older ones even had any color to their comb, now one is just starting to turn a darker pink but I am still questioning the other.
barnie.gif

Quote:
So I am showing my newbie-ness here by asking, :oops:but how do you tell if one is a pullet or roo?? (Do I WANT to know??)
lau.gif

gig.gif
no....
gig.gif
combs, feathering and whattles and behavior. OOO you will learn.
big_smile.png
And have a blast doing it....

Quote:
lau.gif

Even at a younger age allot of breeds will show in their comb and wattles, boys will tend to get darker pink or even red at a much younger age. I do have some project bantam orps in the brooder right now, I believe they are around the 6 week mark and I can tell every boy from girl at this point.
wink.png

Quote:
Went in to lockdown last night, good temps and humidity, as we candled we saw movement inside, all the eggs from you are looking good. Had 1 clear Buff Orp egg from Red roofs (mail order) and 4 of my Barred rocks were clear, so out of 33 eggs 28 made it in to lockdown!!

I am excited, so glad that I am off tomorrow......

Back
Top Bottom