North Carolina

Seriously? We live on Edwards rd. Off Snyder store rd! We are the house with the white fence and American flag. We moved here in March.

CHICkEN FIGHT!!! Lol
I'll have to look for your place today while walking the dog. That's the only time I'm down that end. We have 3 Barred Rock hens 1 roo and 1 Sex Link. 16 6 week old BR pullets. We are the house with the kiddie pool garden and the "Don't Tread On Me" skull flag.

My dog got hit by a car last night. I couldn't find her last night in the dark (there are no street lights around here, and my house is set back 2 acres off the road - as are all the neighbors). Finally found her this morning in a pool of water at the bottom of the ditch across the road. That side of the road is all overgrown and the grass is all dead and brown - she blended right in. She is still alive, but has a severe head injury. Vet has her under observation and is treating the concussion. Amazingly she thinks she'll pull through. For now though, she is effectively blind - but can hear. She also can't move her hind legs at all but the vet is currently attributing that to the head injury. She didn't make a sound at all when I picked her up and carried her to the car, or when I took her out of the car. Will know more later this afternoon when the meds have had a chance to do their thing.

On top of that both my boys have the flu (2 1/2 and 5yrs). My 2yr old threw up in the car on the way to the vets. Hubby is out of town until late tomorrow. Been gone for the last six weeks. My cell phone has vanished into thin air and the battery is dead so calling it doesn't help. At least I have the house phone, but it's corded and the cheapest one out there so it's hard to hear on it.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm a wee bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Hope the dog gets better long with your boys, Banriona
hugs.gif

Thanks guys! The wee one has at least regained his appetite some. Unfortunately we were out of staples so had to go to the grocery store. My car managed to get itself wedged into the mud pit that was hiding under the grass that WAS our parking area. Tried to use hubbys car and the battery was dead. Naturally the two batteries were way too far apart to just do a simple jump. Luckily we have a battery charger for the power wheels and I used that. So much for a simple trip to the grocery store. And the barn cat seems to have discovered that she can go through a hole in the AC ductwork under the house in order to end herself up in the floor vent in my dining area. According to her it's her personal cat door. She'll be locked in the barn until hubs comes home.

And when hubs does come home I am locking myself in a dark room with a bottle or two of wine and NOT coming out or talking to anyone.

barnie.gif

edited to add: I did finally find my cell phone though. It was in the crayon box. Now I just need to find the crayons...

Last edited:
Banriona you guys sound like us at the moment. Since. Christmas we have had the stomach bug, strep and mono and now possible flu. I have 3 out of 4 sick right now. I am hoping that me and hubby don't catch anything because we are really outnumbered.

Hope you guys get better soon!

Oh and the neighbor's dogs killed more of my chickens

Last edited:
Oh no lindz! I wouldn't wish this on anyone! My plan for my neighbors dogs is a paintball gun. Will be enough to hurt them, but not cause serious harm. Will leave a mark that the owner will see and *hopefully* realize that next time it may not be as harmless of a gun. Thankfully I haven't had any problems with them since the one time I tried to free range them. I hope your neighbors come to their senses soon.

Just found out my oldest has pneumonia too. Yippee. At least my five year old is on the mend. Talked to the vet tech, our sweet Molly seems to be hanging in there resting comfortably. They can't get her to drink on her own, but she at least swallows when they syringe water in her mouth. She's not eating either. So far they are still monitoring her and trying to get the concussion under control. At least she's not getting any worse.

Happy to report the rest of the day was completely uneventful. Molly's pupils have finally started to respond to the treatment. She still isn't eating or drinking, but will at least swallow when water is syringed into her mouth. Spending tonight at the vet for supervision - and likely tomorrow and the next night at least.

The boys are working on the worlds longest sleep - which in light of everything else is kinda nice. At least their bodies are working hard at getting better. As for me, I'm going to curl up by the fire with a nice cup of tea and a good book and reflect on the many ways God has blessed us even throughout the days trials.

Molly was only injured - not killed. Despite not being able to find her last night, she was chilled enough to slow down the hemorrhaging in her brain but not enough to kill her. She is responding to treatment. We actually have money in the bank to pay the vet with. Cell phone was found. Despite one car getting stuck in the mud, the other one was eventually up and running. Thankful we had a battery charger on hand to use. Was able to buy the groceries we needed and both boys ate something healthy despite being nauseated. No one has thrown up since this morning. The youngers only have the flu, and the oldest had the sense to get to a doctor and get antibiotics. I'm not 100% but at least I'm not fully feverish. The cat didn't get stuck in the ductwork somewhere that she couldn't be gotten out of. Both boys are sleeping peacefully so I can get the house clean and make an attempt at de-stressing. Hubby gets home tomorrow afternoon/evening. Life is never as bad as it appears.

Best of all - I have you guys to talk to when things get too much. Thank you all for your support today! Good night all!

Happy to report the rest of the day was completely uneventful. Molly's pupils have finally started to respond to the treatment. She still isn't eating or drinking, but will at least swallow when water is syringed into her mouth. Spending tonight at the vet for supervision - and likely tomorrow and the next night at least.

The boys are working on the worlds longest sleep - which in light of everything else is kinda nice. At least their bodies are working hard at getting better. As for me, I'm going to curl up by the fire with a nice cup of tea and a good book and reflect on the many ways God has blessed us even throughout the days trials.

Molly was only injured - not killed. Despite not being able to find her last night, she was chilled enough to slow down the hemorrhaging in her brain but not enough to kill her. She is responding to treatment. We actually have money in the bank to pay the vet with. Cell phone was found. Despite one car getting stuck in the mud, the other one was eventually up and running. Thankful we had a battery charger on hand to use. Was able to buy the groceries we needed and both boys ate something healthy despite being nauseated. No one has thrown up since this morning. The youngers only have the flu, and the oldest had the sense to get to a doctor and get antibiotics. I'm not 100% but at least I'm not fully feverish. The cat didn't get stuck in the ductwork somewhere that she couldn't be gotten out of. Both boys are sleeping peacefully so I can get the house clean and make an attempt at de-stressing. Hubby gets home tomorrow afternoon/evening. Life is never as bad as it appears.

Best of all - I have you guys to talk to when things get too much. Thank you all for your support today! Good night all!

Banriona, glad things are looking up.

Lindz, sorry about our chicks! That really stinks.

Someone (sorry it was a few pages back) asked if anyone uses Beaver Bag Shavings. They are awesome. I got them once from the feed store and then they stopped carrying them... I have started buying shavings in bulk along with a neighbor who has a horse.

My coops all have wooden floors and I use shavings on them. I put outdoor plywood over the standard floor so it won't rot like regular plywood.

A few folks asked about started pullets, I have a few I need to sell. They are EE and brown egg layers, hatched end of May and middle of June. I think I am too far from anyone who asked but wanted to mention it. I also have a few lavender ameraucanas started pullets and roos.

For the person getting leghorns, I love mine!!! I never thought I wanted white egg layers. These were raised by small children in a subdivision that doesn't allow chickens. When the neighbors complained they had to get rid of them. I think they are calm because of the kids. They are egg laying machines. There are 6 and they all lay almost every day. They seem to be laying better in the cold than they did in the heat. I am actually crossing them with my Blue Wheaten Splash Ameraucana to make super blue egg layers. The first four have hatched and more are pipped. They all have cute little beards and muffs and look like they will develop spots. I love hatching!
love.gif

Oh! I am so excited, yesterday I picked up a (used) GQF incubator!!! I still have to disinfect it, test it and receive the egg trays I ordered. Then watch out I plan to do lots of hatching! LOL.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom