North Carolina

thumbsup.gif
Hollow.... LOOKS GREAT !!

Trip was great... got to meet MORE BYCer/FBers chicken junkies !
celebrate.gif

Tomorrow is Church then off to Vfems for the jam class.
droolin.gif

Vfem... check your PMs.

We are finally going back to WCA!!!
celebrate.gif
We have only been once, and that was months ago!!! DH has been working since then so we couldn't go. BUT, now he is home for a while, and our Mem. day boat outing isn't looking so good, forcast for rain/wind!! So, WCA, here we come!!!! I know , from reading all the posts, that we need to take chairs and have already put them in the truck.

I would love to meet some other BYCers!! It will just be the two of us, DH, Steve, is tall and heavy set, kinda a big guy. I have red short hair, and wear glasses, and kinda heavy set too!! One would think that with all the hands on work we do in the yard, and with the chickens, we would lose weight!!
idunno.gif

Anyway............Ya'll have a great day tomorrow, and hope to meet some of you tomorrow at WCA!!

Debbie

WCA bound tomorrow....gotta get my chicken fix
yippiechickie.gif
gonna take our little 3 month old billy goat to sell...maybe a few chicks and a pair of chukar and try not to bring anything else back home to the mini-farm....c ya there

I'll be at the WCA tomorrow as well, first time going coming from the haw river/mebane area i would also like to meet some BYCers ill keep a lookput for ya dlockey. See ya'll tomorrow!

Okay...pictures!
Bear in mind that it's not completely finished inside. There are minor things to do. There's no bedding in it yet, either. I'll take photos of the nestboxes once we open them up. And remember that it'll need painting! (You won't be able to forget!) Also...it's at the front of the property, more or less. I know, nobody puts the chickens in the front, but these will be, since the building was already there!

The original sheepshed was a lean-to measuring 20 feet long and 8 feet deep. Then we came back and added another section on the front, of the same size, but just roof; no sides at all. It was just to add shaded area.

So...here's the back of it. You can see that the old sheepshed was painted, but hubby inserted windows into the back wall. This is 20 feet across.

The side closest to the gate. We left the original 8' side intact, and used 2 x 4 wire to close in the second 8' section, for lots of air movement. For winter and hurricane season, we'll have shutters up to close it down. (Note that "we" means my hubby on all this labor!)

As you look through that door, you can see a door on the far side leading out, and one in the center of the building. It's got 2 x 4 wire separating it into two 10 x 16 sections.

This one is into the first section. The roll of wire is to overlay the stock panels with.

Both sides will get one more perch. the two sides are mirror images of each other, except the feed drum is on the near side and the water drum is on the far side.

Water buckets for today, as the waterers are in use. I'll bring them down tomorrow. The trash bag is still up from constuction, but will come down. Also have to put covers over the drum and barrel.

You can't see them, but there are 10 nest boxes behind Curtain Number 1.

One side of the duplex gets the back pasture...

And the other side gets the front pasture...

And yeah...hubby got a steak dinner today for completing it! (and I already mentioned the bantam housing I want next....
hide.gif
)

thumbsup.gif
Nice looking setup!

Like DH says... we will be at WCA tomorrow... see you there! Hoping to find some deals.... shhh the DH doesn't need to know til it's too late to do anything about it... LoL

Okay...I'm officially tired.
hmm.png
But all 42 teenagers are wing-clipped, dusted and relocated. Took two trips to move them all, but they are there, seperated comfortably, and I've showered and gotten my Sevin-dust covered clothing in the wash. I also got the new trio dusted while I had the sock out.

Tomorrow I clean out their pen. Then the bantams can take turns in it for a few days. Then I have to clean the old henhouse, and switch sides. It's split too, but one side is 8 x 8 and the other 8 x 12, and the larger side has been the brooder side. I want to switch it back, even though I'll have the fewest birds there. Hopefully the population will grow! By the end of the week, I'll have one henhouse with blue and splash Orps, one with lavender and black, and one with BCMs and the leftover Buff Orps..until the Marans are POL. Then the Buffs can mostly go to freezer camp.

And if the lavenders free-ranging are a hawk smorgasbord, then I'll replace them with something darker...like Gold-laced Wyandottes.

AND...hubby is willing to do the small conversion to set up the first batch of bantams. Little does he know I'll have him do it a couple more times!
cool.png

Tired Meg is going to bed now. Sleep well!

Back
Top Bottom