North Idaho / Eastern Washington

i just gave corid in water, just wanted to be safe. i cked my australorp rooster and he is infested w/mites... do i need to clean the entire coop out? or can i just sprinkle/pour 7/seven on top of shavings?
I think i will cull my rooster, he may have internal injuries??? i am so overwhelmed and confused on what to do now?
any suggestions? ANYONE???

seeing all those mites gives me the heeby jeebies... i want to take a shower & sprinkle 7 all over myself. Can i get the mites??
He likely doesn't have internal injuries, it just depends on how beat up he got. He probably just has a pecked butt from the other chickens and possibly from him trying to groom the mites/lice off.

The corid will kill good and bad bacteria alike, so after treatment be sure to give the chickens some probiotic supplements.

You can't get the mites, they can't live off of you. I would clean the coop out, put in fresh straw or whatever you use and dust the fresh straw with poultry dust. Then I would make a point to powder all your chickens. You can fill a sock or panty hose with the dust and use it like a lady's powder puff to dust the chickens. Get under their wings and around their vents. Then set up a place where they can dust bathe in the powder mixed in with some dirt.

Also if the powder you use is permethrin be aware that it is highly toxic to cats, so put it in an area that cats can't get too.

I know it seems overwhelming but you'll get it under control soon. *hugs

He likely doesn't have internal injuries, it just depends on how beat up he got. He probably just has a pecked butt from the other chickens and possibly from him trying to groom the mites/lice off.

The corid will kill good and bad bacteria alike, so after treatment be sure to give the chickens some probiotic supplements.

You can't get the mites, they can't live off of you. I would clean the coop out, put in fresh straw or whatever you use and dust the fresh straw with poultry dust. Then I would make a point to powder all your chickens. You can fill a sock or panty hose with the dust and use it like a lady's powder puff to dust the chickens. Get under their wings and around their vents. Then set up a place where they can dust bathe in the powder mixed in with some dirt.

Also if the powder you use is permethrin be aware that it is highly toxic to cats, so put it in an area that cats can't get too.

yes, it is overwhelming. What powder do you recommend???
i was told to buy the liquid pour-on ivermectin and put a few drops on ea bird.

I have always wanted to visit the east coast. i have been to florida, but this all, i would love to see it all, especially MA.
you chickens must be beautiful... they are fun, enjoy them.

You should definitely come out sometime if you ever get a chance, it really is nice here. And Boston is a cool city if you like cities. But there's beautiful scenery too both here and in Western MA and if you get a chance to stay a little longer and visit some of the other states, New Hampshire and Maine are gorgeous. :) MA is too but ya.

And thank you! I think they but I'm biased LOL they are definitely fun though :)

Just an FYI, Corid is not an antibiotic. It will not kill any bacteria in or out of the chicken. It is a thiamine blocker which is a B vitamin.

It makes the host and the cocci oocysts unable to absorb and process the vitamin and the oocysts die, thus eliminating the parasites.

Just an FYI, Corid is not an antibiotic.  It will not kill any bacteria in or out of the chicken.  It is a thiamine blocker which is a B vitamin. 

It makes the host and the cocci oocysts unable to absorb and process the vitamin and the oocysts die, thus eliminating the parasites.

Oh cool! Thanks! I will remember that!

You should definitely come out sometime if you ever get a chance, it really is nice here. And Boston is a cool city if you like cities. But there's beautiful scenery too both here and in Western MA and if you get a chance to stay a little longer and visit some of the other states, New Hampshire and Maine are gorgeous. :) MA is too but ya.

And thank you! I think they but I'm biased LOL they are definitely fun though :)
i ment Maine, sorry, but yes, i want to see the entire east coast. ive seen the west and a tiny bit of the gulf coasts...
i want to eat sea food from all the ports.. tee hee...

Just an FYI, Corid is not an antibiotic.  It will not kill any bacteria in or out of the chicken.  It is a thiamine blocker which is a B vitamin. 

thank you this is what i have been told..
"Cocci is caused by a protozoan in the soil, sort of like when you get giardia when you drink creek water that is untreated. It is not bacteria. There are 9 known named types and some mutated types that are harder to treat, but most are just the usual types."
ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidiosis

Last edited:
i ment Maine, sorry, but yes, i want to see the entire east coast. ive seen the west and a tiny bit of the gulf coasts...
i want to eat sea food from all the ports.. tee hee...

Ahhh okay. Yeah, in my opinion Maine is even prettier than here :p there are parts here that are pretty though. I've never been out west. I've only been to all of the New England states (so Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont) although Connecticut I've only driven through to get to New York. Would like to actually visit. So been to all those and then I've been to New York and Pennsylvania but mostly just driven through NY to get to Erie as we have family in PA. And been to Florida. I've technically been to New Jersey and Georgia but only a layover so I dont count it. But anyways, we live here so it's easy/common to go to the other states and we have family the other 2 so that's necessity too. And Florida was just fun but I haven't been there or anywhere really in a few years. I'd like to see other parts of the country.

Anyway, the seafood here is delicious. Though I personally hate seafood ironically enough LOL but you gotta try some lobster :)

i am slow, so, your point is??? thank you,

Back
Top Bottom