Northeast Poultry Congress 2013

Going to try and answer a few of the newbie questions and comments I saw on here - I hope I don't miss one.

First - for the person who said they might wear a funky t-shirt if it's not too cold. Good luck with that - you'll have to wear it over your parka. While they attempt to heat the building, it is just too big, there are too many doors opening all day, and it is just too cold. I'm packing heat pockets in my boots this year. You're basically going to be in a large metal ice cave. Dress appropriately!

For the person with the dog - not recommended, especially with the Ag office right in the building. Yes, there is an area off to the side not directly near the birds, but it IS a bird show, so all of the areas are set-up for them. Unless there's some sort of weird thaw, I wouldn't plan on walking around the building much either - too cold, and as the building is on an open plain with the other halls, the wind is vicious. Best to make a Plan B.

Vendors - yes, there are several vendors for poultry products, and many, many birds for sale - some of the best assortment and quality I've seen. The bird sale area still exists on Sunday, but all of the good stuff will be gone by then. The best way to get the birds you want - this is for any show - is to contact the breeder and make plans to meet them there. That way they can hold birds for you. The product vendors were only there on Saturday for the most part - I remember I wanted to buy something on Sunday, and they had packed up the night before.

Please note: Although the dates are for Saturday and Sunday, most shows are over before 11 am on Sundays. I almost never give visitors the second date, because they don't realize that, and wander in on Sunday after we've all gone home. That date is really for the exhibitors who have to stand around waiting for the awards to be over so we can pack up.

Coop-in is Friday AND Saturday morning. Friday 3-9pm, Saturday 8-9am.

Meet-ups: Last year it was really great to have the BYC table where everyone could meet-up and hang. Roberta and I are not planning on running a table this year. You should bring some chairs, as there are only the food table to sit at. Boy, was I glad to have that chair by the afternoon! There is usually some empty corner people can park themselves to hang out. Just remember, you really can't bring food in, as they have their own vendor for that. Besides, the fries are good.

And, I'm not a newbie, (although I don't yet consider myself an old-timer,) and I'm happy to wear my name tag! I'll be looking for yours!

I have a dumb question, how do we cart around any chickens that we may purchase at the show? Do people bring dog kennels, cardboard cat boxes etc? Is there a trick like using a pull behind luggage carrier with boxes strapped on top?
I have a funny story about this. Last year at the show I bought an american fantail pigeon from a vendor who didn't have any boxes..... so we decided that I could walk around with the bird for a few minutes until we could find a box. BAD IDEA. next thing I know, the pigeon FLEW out of my hand, hoovered up into the ceiling and was 15-20 feet up in the air. as this is happening, all chaos breaks out around us. Geese are yelling and quacking, chickens are crowing like no end! a guy came up out of nowhere with a net and we hoisted him up into the air against the wall so he could net the bird. Luckily, he netted the bird and we got her down. But the moral of the story is: BYOB (Bring your own BOX!)...........

FOR SALE: TWO POLISH PULLETS ONE GOLD SPANGLED, ONE WHITE BUFFISH........ contact me

Going to try and answer a few of the newbie questions and comments I saw on here - I hope I don't miss one.

First - for the person who said they might wear a funky t-shirt if it's not too cold. Good luck with that - you'll have to wear it over your parka. While they attempt to heat the building, it is just too big, there are too many doors opening all day, and it is just too cold. I'm packing heat pockets in my boots this year. You're basically going to be in a large metal ice cave. Dress appropriately!

For the person with the dog - not recommended, especially with the Ag office right in the building. Yes, there is an area off to the side not directly near the birds, but it IS a bird show, so all of the areas are set-up for them. Unless there's some sort of weird thaw, I wouldn't plan on walking around the building much either - too cold, and as the building is on an open plain with the other halls, the wind is vicious. Best to make a Plan B.

Vendors - yes, there are several vendors for poultry products, and many, many birds for sale - some of the best assortment and quality I've seen. The bird sale area still exists on Sunday, but all of the good stuff will be gone by then. The best way to get the birds you want - this is for any show - is to contact the breeder and make plans to meet them there. That way they can hold birds for you. The product vendors were only there on Saturday for the most part - I remember I wanted to buy something on Sunday, and they had packed up the night before.

Please note: Although the dates are for Saturday and Sunday, most shows are over before 11 am on Sundays. I almost never give visitors the second date, because they don't realize that, and wander in on Sunday after we've all gone home. That date is really for the exhibitors who have to stand around waiting for the awards to be over so we can pack up.

Coop-in is Friday AND Saturday morning. Friday 3-9pm, Saturday 8-9am.

Meet-ups: Last year it was really great to have the BYC table where everyone could meet-up and hang. Roberta and I are not planning on running a table this year. You should bring some chairs, as there are only the food table to sit at. Boy, was I glad to have that chair by the afternoon! There is usually some empty corner people can park themselves to hang out. Just remember, you really can't bring food in, as they have their own vendor for that. Besides, the fries are good.

And, I'm not a newbie, (although I don't yet consider myself an old-timer,) and I'm happy to wear my name tag! I'll be looking for yours!
You will be able to drive right up past the parking lot, next to the building & park in that area. Its not like when there is a big event and all parkinng was out in the main area, and you had to walk into the gates to the buildings.

I agree with what was said here. I will also mention, that the only way into the building is directly into the show area, so no dogs will be allowed through.

You never know how well the heat will be. I've been there when I thought I was going to freeze to death, last year, it was better, but I didn't take off my outer coat either.

Most sales take place Friday after 3 or Saturday. Brinng a box if you think you will buy something. And if you are buying chicks, bring something to heat the boxes. I will be brinnging heat packs for my sales, but I don't know about other people. I do not provide boxes.

You can get boxes at the Post office for free. Put shavinngs in them also. If you are drivinga lonng ways or stayinng overnight, bring bird food.

What time do sales start for those of us who don't really know anybody or aren't meeting up with someone in particular? I want to get the best selection! Also, when I buy a bird, do I have to have my own box to binrg it home?

Sue, I have extra chick boxes, as long as they fit in my clown car...
Mary, something happened to my brain, and I asked BYC for more handouts like last year.
If you could fit the extra table, that would be great.
But this year will be a little more low key. I hope!
I have 4 chairs, again... space is at a premium.
If anyone would like to bring a few extra chairs, we can have a little BYC table to stop and chat

I also will be bringing boxes of those hand and toe warmers to sell.
I think $1 a set is fair, no?
If I bring them, it will be warm!

What time do sales start for those of us who don't really know anybody or aren't meeting up with someone in particular? I want to get the best selection! Also, when I buy a bird, do I have to have my own box to binrg it home?

Question answered above.

Tip: You can get some great cups in the small animal section of Petsmart for water for the boxes. The cups have those bent wires for hanging. Cut a long horizontal slit, about 3/4 high, across a side of the box, and hang the wires in the exposed corrugated cardboard. Cut another slit across the way for air flow. Just remember to empty the water before driving, or the birds will be sitting in wet litter for the ride home! (I know this from experience, unfortunately.)

Sue, I have extra chick boxes, as long as they fit in my clown car...
Mary, something happened to my brain, and I asked BYC for more handouts like last year.
If you could fit the extra table, that would be great.
But this year will be a little more low key. I hope!
I have 4 chairs, again... space is at a premium.
If anyone would like to bring a few extra chairs, we can have a little BYC table to stop and chat

I also will be bringing boxes of those hand and toe warmers to sell.
I think $1 a set is fair, no?
If I bring them, it will be warm!
I will bring a few extra chairs....comfy ones that fold up.

mame1616 - thank you for all the tips! I have been to the Big E for the Equine Affaire held in the fall. It has always been comfortable temps in the buildings...I'm glad to know in advance that we will probably be freezing for this event.

Back
Top Bottom