Northeast Poultry Congress 2013

does anyone here know what "color" means when it's written on the coop card? My blue pullet had it written on hers, as well as another blue hen the same shade of blue. She came in last
hmm.png
Also, what do the check marks mean?

the check marks are a note that the judge makes to himself.
when it is written "color" it means the judge questioned the color or it was not right for what he was looking for. other notes you may see are wing, toes,beak- it is just a reminder for the judge that is something is wrong with that. now if they right "nice color", that's totally different.
the judge probably has a system, where first check means a certain something, 2nd something else, third something else. a bird with 3-4 checks would be better then a bird with 1 or 2 checks.

does anyone here know what "color" means when it's written on the coop card? My blue pullet had it written on hers, as well as another blue hen the same shade of blue. She came in last
hmm.png
Also, what do the check marks mean?

the check marks are a note that the judge makes to himself.
when it is written "color" it means the judge questioned the color or it was not right for what he was looking for. other notes you may see are wing, toes,beak- it is just a reminder for the judge that is something is wrong with that. now if they right "nice color", that's totally different.
the judge probably has a system, where first check means a certain something, 2nd something else, third something else. a bird with 3-4 checks would be better then a bird with 1 or 2 checks.
yeah no one had over 3 checks. But is her color really off? Everyone loves it, the other one that is the same color got the same note. It's still blue, just not extremely dark. I wonder if he was thinking they could be lavender? Oh well, I am guessing she also got last because she is small. She weighs 1.4 lbs but was a lot smaller than the rest of the group of pullets. I hope I can talk to judges tomorrow after the show. I want to learn what I need to work on and what I need to work out.

I went!! It was really fun!! I did see a few questionable health birds tho - might have just been stress, but saw several panting and a few just looked under the weather.. some frostbite too - but huge gorgeous birds everywhere!! =) The Peter Brown booth was hopping - glad to see he is all recovered from his illness a week or two ago.

Oh and I only saw two naked necks on the show floor unless I miss something.. More naked necks needed!! =) =)

I went!! It was really fun!! I did see a few questionable health birds tho - might have just been stress, but saw several panting and a few just looked under the weather.. some frostbite too - but huge gorgeous birds everywhere!! =) The Peter Brown booth was hopping - glad to see he is all recovered from his illness a week or two ago.

Oh and I only saw two naked necks on the show floor unless I miss something.. More naked necks needed!! =) =)
there were a bunch in the sale room. Did you happen to walk by my silver laced polish cockerel
big_smile.png
he has getting some attention from passers by.

there were a bunch in the sale room. Did you happen to walk by my silver laced polish cockerel
big_smile.png
he has getting some attention from passers by.
I am SURE I did. I made sure to check out allll the polish - they are just the cutest things!!! =)

I did see the NN and the showgirls in the sale area.. I don't bring home chickens, only hatch them here, but just love to 'window shop'. =) Only saw a few people selling hatching eggs - I think I could have been tempted there for the right eggs. =)

Last edited:
i had an awesome time for my first poultry show i have ever been to. I got two unsexed silkies very cute and on the way back to my aunts they slept on my lap the ride their. i have a 5 hour ride home tomorrow and hope they will be okay on the way home. i also got a shirt and some cute chicken earrings.

Back
Top Bottom