Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
Dr. Netland,
Welcome to the thread and thank you for bringing my favorite chicken to the U.S. I have had chickens for more than 40 years and am so happy with my Jaerhons. They are such great little layers. I also appreciate the fact that they are able to tolerate heat well and are cold resistant. They just don't seem to be bothered by the weather and lay year round. I was told that they burnout after the first year of lay but mine are still laying well in their second year and in great health. I am working to keep genetic diversity in my Jaers so I have them from three different sources and have setup three breeding flocks, but I know they are all from your one importation and therefore inbred, so I am amaze that I have not seen any signs of inbreeding problems. I can't thank you enough for these fine birds.
I am interested in any information you can give us about Jaerhons and I am looking forward learning from you.
Kathleen

Last edited:
My Jaers are hardy little things, they are the last to stay out ranging, go the furthest, and are waryier than my other birds. And I can't believe how large their eggs have become since they started laying, especially for such a small bird.

Our 2 week old just flew out of the 3-foot high brooder.
th.gif
Time for a lid of some sort (again)...really didn't think they'd get out of this one.

Oh, the many aspects of being a chicken noob.
gig.gif

I am getting 10 Norwegian Jaerhon pullets and 2 cockerals. 5 hens and 1 rooster of each. Light and Dark. I use to have them a few years back. I loved them. I had to sell my stock cause of school. But I am finally getting back into birds! YAY!

Hi Gucci,

That IS great! I really like Jaerhons too. How are you getting both dark and light? All mine came from Ideal and they are all the same color.

Jerry

If I am correct, Ideal has darks? I have a friend who has both. They was actually mine before I sold them to her. So I am gonna get some frome from her as well. I had order some from Ideal once before a few years back and I got a mixture of both.

Back
Top Bottom