Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
Is he a light or a dark? Is the pic showing his colors accurately? He seems light colored to me, but I have darks. I think his body shape looks nice. Probably has too many points on his comb but mine do too.

It's kind of hard to know exactly what to breed toward without a good translation of the Norwegian standard. It's here somewhere in this thread but I don't think its complete...

Thank you for your input Amyable! You know, I was wondering if he was light myself. I think he's actually lighter than in this picture. He came with a batch from Ideal. All the pullets look dark, the same as I've always had. And I got 5 males in the batch, 4 of which made it to maturity. This one was lighter than all the rest. I kind of liked the looks of the more color in the others better. But this one was the fastest maturing, slightly the biggest, bigger comb, so I picked him. I didn't really know all that I should really be looking for. But he got picked. I like him a lot for disposition, good with the hens, doesn't fight with my other rooster, nice personality.

As far as the real standard goes, that's not my main concern. What's most important to me are not surface type looks, but vigor and the best body type to pass on good egg laying to his offspring. So I appreciate your input and if any other of you Jaer folk would like to give me you honest opinion too, that would be appreciated. The rooster is so important and I want to start out right.

I wonder if I somehow ended up with a light Jaer roo?

I like him a lot for disposition, good with the hens, doesn't fight with my other rooster, nice personality.

As far as the real standard goes, that's not my main concern. What's most important to me are not surface type looks, but vigor and the best body type to pass on good egg laying to his offspring.
Those are all excellent traits to breed toward. I prefer that over breeding for certain looks, which happens in all of animal husbandry. His body type looks much like one of my youngsters from last season, who went to be head roo of a flock in CO.

I have yet to get a cockeral that is as full in the chest as my original roo. Perhaps that would come if they had enough time to mature; my oldest boy is 4ish. I just like the fuller look, personally. Makes a small roo a tad more manly.
lol.png

So, could you all tell me how my two look? Please...and be honest. I am hatching out some from these two and got 6 in the mail. So, I need to know who I should keep and who needs to go.

I think they look nice. Your girl has a big comb, at least bigger than my hens. Their coloring looks good; I notice a little white in the wing tips of the hen, a couple of mine have that too (not sure if that's a fault or not.) I like their type. Your boy is a little leaner looking than my roos, how old is he? He has a lot of points on his comb, I think the standard might say 5, but i've yet to see a roo with 5 points. More importantly, how are their temperaments, rate of lay, foraging ability?

So, could you all tell me how my two look? Please...and be honest. I am hatching out some from these two and got 6 in the mail. So, I need to know who I should keep and who needs to go.

I think they both look real good. I think the rooster has a nice shape and the angle of the tail is very good. Take a look a few posts back at my rooster - I think his tail is too high which might not be as good for passing on egg production (I wish I knew more about that). I don't know about color and the finer points, but the shape of your pair look real nice to me.

Thanks all. I am planning on replacing my roo. He has been sneezing and coughing for over a month. None of my other chickens have caught it. So, if he is not staying healthy, he needs to go. I hope to keep pullets out of this pair and a roo from the eggs I got from Amy.

The temperament is good. They were weird as teens, and why his name is Renfield. He had his "crazy period" She is Mina, to stay with the Dracula theme. I find I have to feed them less then the big chickens but I have not let them out as much. 1, because he has been sick and 2, I have a pair of goshawks that live across the street so I worry about my smaller chickens. Mina lays me an egg almost every day. I think I get about 6 a week.

I just had one hatch this morning. It looks like a little roo, but it is still wet. Two more are pipping. They are 2 days late, so they could hatch on Easter. Grrrr!

Thanks all. I am planning on replacing my roo. He has been sneezing and coughing for over a month. None of my other chickens have caught it. So, if he is not staying healthy, he needs to go. I hope to keep pullets out of this pair and a roo from the eggs I got from Amy.

The temperament is good. They were weird as teens, and why his name is Renfield. He had his "crazy period" She is Mina, to stay with the Dracula theme. I find I have to feed them less then the big chickens but I have not let them out as much. 1, because he has been sick and 2, I have a pair of goshawks that live across the street so I worry about my smaller chickens. Mina lays me an egg almost every day. I think I get about 6 a week.

I just had one hatch this morning. It looks like a little roo, but it is still wet. Two more are pipping. They are 2 days late, so they could hatch on Easter. Grrrr!
you can try Sulmet and put Vetrex on his comb , wattles and legs

Back
Top Bottom