Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
The problem that I've run into is that, in Norway, these are considered an autosexing landrace breed. So, they don't keep a standard. They have a genebank for the breed to keep diversity. However, in Scandanavia, they have a standard for the breed, but I cannot read Swedish and you actually have to order the poultry standards book to find the standard. So, unless someone knows Swedish, I'm afraid we're stuck.

I have friends that are Swedish and I'm sure could translate it if I could get a copy of book? Where would that be available to order?

Check post #199 on this thread for a translation of the Norwegian SOP. This is a great thread and well worth reading from the beginning to get some good information. The Norwegian do show their Jaerhons I will have to look on my other computer for the link to a picture I have of one of the national champions.
Kat

Check post #199 on this thread for a translation of the Norwegian SOP. This is a great thread and well worth reading from the beginning to get some good information. The Norwegian do show their Jaerhons I will have to look on my other computer for the link to a picture I have of one of the national champions.
Kat

The problem is how vague the Norwegian standard is. It really doesn't give anything about disqualifications, number of points on the comb, body type, etc.

4 girls and a boy so far! I have not checked under mom yet this morning. There are/where 6 more eggs to go last night.
I did have to put a Polish chick in with the first 3, to teach them how to eat.
Anyone else have an issue with pasty butt on the Jaers? I had to clean the first of the girls last night, so I just clipped back some of the fuzz while I was at it. I hope that helps.

I kinda though this was a non-broody breed. Anyone else's hens setting? She did steal them all from a hen I put in there to be the brooder. Mina, the Jaer, let the other hen start the eggs, for about a week. They only broke one, and so far the rest look like they will all hatch. I candled them a week ago. 5 down, 6 to go.

Nice ratio! I have had 1 hen go broody in 3 years. She hatched 1 bantam chick but wasn't the most attentive mom. Have not had the pasty butt problem. The only problem I'm having this year is inability to hatch!
barnie.gif

My new total is 5 girls and one boy. 5 more eggs in the nest.
One slightly older Polish in there to teach the how to eat.

Nice ratio! I have had 1 hen go broody in 3 years. She hatched 1 bantam chick but wasn't the most attentive mom. Have not had the pasty butt problem. The only problem I'm having this year is inability to hatch!
barnie.gif

What does everyone do with their extra roosters? Since I have 6 males and 4 females, I need to get rid of a few roosters, but can't imagine that they would have much meat on them.

Amy, those chicks I got from your eggs are still going strong. They are 2 days shy of 2 weeks old. So, fingers crossed that they do well! With all this talk of young chicks dying, I have been giving them a lower protein chick feed and I put apple cider vinegar with the mother in it in their water every time I change the water. They seem to be doing really well, so I hope mine make it to adulthood with no issues! Thanks again for the beautiful chicks! With 4 females and 6 males, I'll have a nice little flock to start with!

What does everyone do with their extra roosters? Since I have 6 males and 4 females, I need to get rid of a few roosters, but can't imagine that they would have much meat on them.

Amy, those chicks I got from your eggs are still going strong. They are 2 days shy of 2 weeks old. So, fingers crossed that they do well! With all this talk of young chicks dying, I have been giving them a lower protein chick feed and I put apple cider vinegar with the mother in it in their water every time I change the water. They seem to be doing really well, so I hope mine make it to adulthood with no issues! Thanks again for the beautiful chicks! With 4 females and 6 males, I'll have a nice little flock to start with!
yippiechickie.gif
I was a little scared after Parkmule's ordeal. I just had to semi-nurse a lone WH duckling along, it seemed a tad peaked. Yogurt + raw milk + save-a-chick electrolytes did the trick. Thank God, its the only one I've got so far and I think its a girl.

As far as spare Jaer roos, stew. There's so little meat on them. But I do save all carcasses to make bone broth. I can't see just throwing them away.

The Jaers the hen hatched out are all doing fine so far. Out of 11 eggs, 9 hatched. 8 girls and one boy.

Back
Top Bottom