Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
Wow super cool photos! How did you get your jaerhons to be so calm? Mine are rather wild!!
They are wild at first but very easily tamed if you handle them a bit. They settle down far better when they are kept in a separate flock, away from other birds that are flighty (e.g., leghorns). Those are very nice pictures, by the way.

Ah ok good to know. Some of mine are currently housed with Exchequer leghorns but they will have their own coop by the end of the month. Thanks!

I gave away my one cockerel as he was so wild but my hen is so friendly she eats out of my hand, follows us around and lets my 7 yo son carry her around! I would have 10 like her!

Hi all, I have a young, light jaer roo that needs a home. His genetics are strong, I have never had a chick die on me. I will post pics if anybody wants him. He has not started to crow yet but will soon.

My NJ were wild at the beginning, too. However, I prefer to call them quick and alert. Their survival instincts are good. Their quickness is what Terry Ryan wants when she teaches because if the chickens don't present a challenge the trainers skills don't improve. I worked about a month at the farm introducing treats, getting them used to eating out of cups and eating out of cups that are being held by humans.. I also have Easter Eggers in the same coop and run because it is easy to tell the eggs apart and I learned by experience that they do tame down better when they are separated from other breeds. Most of them don't do well competing with other breeds for treats.

After working with them on the farm we spent three days handling them individually at the training center before the chicken camp started. By the time the camp started they were tame and they did a great job teaching the trainers. Some of the trainers had never touched a chicken and a couple of the trainers were afraid of chickens. At the end of the two day camp everyone had fallen in love with the cute little NJs and commented on what sweet birds they were and how beautiful they were. The camp was quite a success and Cold Nose College, in Murphy, NC, is planning another Terry Ryan Chicken Camp in March. This time for 5 days for return trainers with a 6th day before the regular camp for people that didn't get to attend a previous camp. I am looking forward to supplying the camp with Norwegian Jaerhons once again and working with some really great dog trainers.

My NJ stopped laying for a few days after the stress of the chicken camp. However, they are back laying and happy to be home now. I can't say enough nice things about these little layers. Thank you again, Dr. Bjorn Netland for importing them.

Back
Top Bottom