Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I have two little girls that are 17 wks old. One is stand oofish and the other gets close and sings. I guess its an individual thing. I love both but neither are laying yet. Their combs are beginning to turn red so maybe sometime soon.
Aurisavannah, Thank you I love the ones I could keep. Gloria Jean

I have two little girls that are 17 wks old. One is stand oofish and the other gets close and sings. I guess its an individual thing. I love both but neither are laying yet. Their combs are beginning to turn red so maybe sometime soon.
Aurisavannah, Thank you I love the ones I could keep. Gloria Jean

I really enjoyed meeting you Gloria Jean. I'm glad you like them. They should be laying in the next month or so. I hatched quite a few this spring and I now have a nice trio or even a quad for sale if anyone is interested. Mine are about the same age as your so they should be laying soon too.

I have never seen a NJ comb like that before! He's a cute bird but I hope you have another rooster for breeding.
yes i got two Boys from my hatch. the others comb is much much better. Not perfectly straight but as his comb thickens up and matures will see how he looks . I think hell be fine. The blue wheaten ameraucana in the middle of the group photo in front of the wonky comb guy
wink.png
it looks like she is wearing the other NJs comb. Its his though and not hers haha.

Last edited:
I am interested in the Jaerhon that you have available, but I'm a ways up north from you - in Indiana. I would love to start a line of Jaerhon. I have three pair of Seramas that I'm looking forward to breeding this spring, but I am very interested in working with a small breed that lays throughout the year and didn't learn about the Jaerhon until after I'd invested in my Serama.

Have you sold the trio or quad to which you referred yet? If not, please send me a PM with details regarding how much you're asking, etc.

Thanks kindly!

I am interested in the Jaerhon that you have available, but I'm a ways up north from you - in Indiana. I would love to start a line of Jaerhon. I have three pair of Seramas that I'm looking forward to breeding this spring, but I am very interested in working with a small breed that lays throughout the year and didn't learn about the Jaerhon until after I'd invested in my Serama.

Have you sold the trio or quad to which you referred yet? If not, please send me a PM with details regarding how much you're asking, etc.

Thanks kindly!
welcome-byc.gif

How hardy are Jaerhon's/how do they handle cold?

They're extremely hardy.
They are the only breed developed in Norway "land of the midnight sun". Part is above the arctic circle and the sun never comes up in winter. The days are very short in the south of the country too. It's quite cold there. They were developed from various landrace fowl in the area in the early 1900s.
Their small size and tight feathering make them heat hardy too.
It gets below zero here and above 100 and mine have done well.

They're extremely hardy.
They are the only breed developed in Norway "land of the midnight sun". Part is above the arctic circle and the sun never comes up in winter. The days are very short in the south of the country too. It's quite cold there. They were developed from various landrace fowl in the area in the early 1900s.
Their small size and tight feathering make them heat hardy too.
It gets below zero here and above 100 and mine have done well.
Thanks, the only reason I was wondering is because they have a fairly large comb.

Hey Its a new year! Long way from spring in these parts though. I have been working on auto sexing breeds recently including the legbar and the rhodebar. Makes it ideal for hatching, raising selling pullets. Ive been thinking I need a auto sexing white egg layer but have overlooked the Jaers. I have found only one place that handles them and thats Ideal Poultry and planning on raising them, would like to find other Jaer genetics along the way.
Its hard to compete with the super layers from the hatcheries so I breed for egg laying first and uniform marking and size after that.
Happy newyear every one!

Back
Top Bottom