Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
My Jaers are a cross of three sources: a flock descended from Amyable's, Ideal Poultry, and my 4 original hens from an unknown origin. I keep my hens in two flocks with two roosters in each flock to get as much genetic diversity as possible. Of course all Jaerhons in the US are descended from the eggs Dr. Netland imported in the 90's. Mine are darks, too.
How do the roosters get alone with each other compared with other breeds of like roosters co cohabiting together? Including how much space and hens do you give them? My question is based on watching two Marans roosters do fine together given the right conditions verses other breeds that try to kill each other no mater what you do.

I dispatched one with a wonky comb.
I'll try the wonky comb trick next time, I've always used a sharp knife.
smile.png

Im not using My roo with the wonky comb. I still have him though, he had the wonkiest comb ever seen. His comb actually propped back up when he matured. Sadly he got side sprigs at the same time

I deciding between two breeds of white egg layers to add to my flock, Norwegian Jaerhon or California Gray. I am looking for; large white eggs with a good feed to egg ratio, birds that fit in well (not spastic), Ro's that, as a breed don't try to kill other Ro's or me all the time.
Thanks for your input

Hi there, I tried to email you a few days ago, but this site kept freezing up :(
I would love to get some of your eggs! How much do you sell them for? My three have not been laying very well due to this awful weather and a brutal molt in autumn.
Can you send me pictures of your hens? I have two very light and one dark, but one light has a big floppy comb and the others have tight little thin combs with delicate points - what is the correct conformation? I don't like the big floppy comb on them it looks almost obscene. LOL There is precious little information on this breed on the internet, I have scoured everything out there - I think... not much said about hens combs. I adore them though, they are such sweeties, when they are being bothered by the rooster they fly up onto my head for safety.

Hi there, I tried to email you a few days ago, but this site kept freezing up :(
I would love to get some of your eggs! How much do you sell them for? My three have not been laying very well due to this awful weather and a brutal molt in autumn.
Can you send me pictures of your hens? I have two very light and one dark, but one light has a big floppy comb and the others have tight little thin combs with delicate points - what is the correct conformation? I don't like the big floppy comb on them it looks almost obscene. LOL There is precious little information on this breed on the internet, I have scoured everything out there - I think... not much said about hens combs. I adore them though, they are such sweeties, when they are being bothered by the rooster they fly up onto my head for safety.

Can you be more specific on who you were trying to reach? This is a thread for the full breed. So, many different people post here.

I have 25 Jaer hens so I have lots of eggs, but it is so cold here this winter that I have been getting some frozen eggs lately so I wouldn't sell them for hatching until it gets warmer. PM me if you are interested when it gets a little warmer.

Hi there, I have tried to reply but my posts get muddled up for some reason. :(

Back
Top Bottom