Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
3 weeks.
tongue.png

Very intriguing!
Would love to know how your birds have turned out. Have they remained calm and laid back? I'm also wondering about the size of their combs (I live in VT where frostbite can be a problem).
Do you think they would fit in with a backyard flock of mixed heavy (and docile) breeds?
They are Pretty Laid Back, but when startled can Fly EXTREMLY well. They have medium sized combs and they will fit in with just about any chicken, they are very smart. P.S. Make sure your chickens don't beat it up.

Haven't got pic of the last two born yet (both boys! 3F 4M hatched of a dozen shipped eggs)
I've noticed they are much jumpier than their brooder counterparts. They were the only ones to escape their breed basket in the incubator, and they got inside the pen in the brooder where I'm keeping a splayed-leg. They are clever! I like a challenge :)

Could someone clarify the boy/girl thang? :)
I can tell the difference, but which is which? I thought I knew, but I've seen conflicting photos everywhere!
Thanks!!

You have 2 boys and a girl in that pic. Boys are lighter. Confusion comes in because of the two different varieties, light and dark. And then there are the flame Jaers too. I don't know what they look like as chicks.

You have 2 boys and a girl in that pic. Boys are lighter. Confusion comes in because of the two different varieties, light and dark. And then there are the flame Jaers too. I don't know what they look like as chicks.
Thanks! Its definitely obvious now :)
Now who knows where I can get a few more?!

What is a good price for Jaer pullets? I have someone who wants to buy a pair, and I have NO idea how much to charge! Thanks for any input!

Flighty is a gross understatement. I call the chicks Freak-A-Zoids. And this year's chicks are no exception. However, every time I move them from the brooders to the grow out pens they calm down within days. As adults they are calmer than Leghorns.
Penedesenca chicks are at least as skittish as Jaers. As the birds mature (and they realize you aren't a predator) and given lots of space, they're quite calm. (Jaers and Mediterranean breeds) These skittish breeds really don't like being penned.
I had a lot of Jaers but am now down to one hen. She is by far the best flyer I've had. She can fly up through a 6" hole in the hoop pen.

How old was your roo when he started crowing?
Mine was 5 weeks.

Quote:
Thanks, the only reason I was wondering is because they have a fairly large comb.
It's relative. I really don't consider their comb that big.

These are big combs

Jaer cockerel

Jaer frizzle

Dark Jaer pullet

Jaer frizzle

My last Jaer hen

Of course every individual is different, but some breeds just naturally seem to have no desire to interact with people, while others seem to drawn to them, as a rule. Lots of handling always makes them more tame than they would be otherwise, but not necessarily friendly. I'm just wondering generally what they are like.
X2
They are calm when mature.

In general, I'd put them higher up on the 'friendly' scale, maybe a 6-7 out of 10. I've had Jaers that were annoyingly in-my-face and underfoot friendly, others who don't like to be handled but don't run away screaming either. Several eat out of my hand now, I don't make any special efforts to tame my birds either.
Same here.

I tried to find pics of my flames but can't fine them. Neighbor's dogs killed them.

Do these look like jaers? Guy got a hatchery mix, and isn't sure what they are, I'm curious what you all thought...

Back
Top Bottom