Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
This is fascinating, and underscores my interest in the probablity that they and the Icelandic have common ancestry. I am looking forward to raising both side by side this year and comparing them. By fall I hope to have some data to compare, I would really like to get a DNA comparison if I can afford it.

Jake

1mutts, thanks for the link to celticmoon1's thread. I saved the article but lost the link.

roosterfry, you have been doing such a great job translating and I know it is hard work so I hate to ask you to do even more for us, but do you think you could find the Norwegian SOP and translate it . I would really like to try to breed to the same standard as the Norwegians to keep our Jaers true to type. There is already a lot of variation occurring and we could drift off to something completely different from the original without a guide.

I found the this link: http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_elocus on chicken color genetics. It is intense and I will have to study it to understand all the information in it. It has some really good picutres with adults and chicks. It seems the dark NJs are eb and the lights are e+ based on the coloring of the chicks with the B for barring added.

Jake, I have no idea how much it costs to get chickens DNA tested, but it would be really interesting. Let us know if you do it.

Kat

Last edited:
Hi Kat

I am going to be making inquiries as I would like to do 3 Scandinavian breeds, or 2 plus the Icelandics which I do consider to be Scandinavian although now a bit separated by time and distance, but that is part of why they are so fascinating to me, there are two other breeds that look quite a bit like them, size, colors, ranging ability and hardiness, I feel there is quite a bit of common ancestry there. I'd like to know for sure, all three breeds deserve preservation just for what they are.

Quote:
I have looked for a site that clearly has the SOP but found mainly enthusiasts' articles. The site I found to be the most credible was a website that had the Jaerhon preserve information "gene bank" as well as contact information for the preserve at the bottom of the page. I did translate that one. it's posted a few pages back on this thread. I'm happy to see people showing interest in this breed because I really believe Jaers have a lot to contribute to the chicken community....

Here is an excerpt from the Scandinavian SOP (it's in Danish though). It's a scan so not too easy to read, but it's managable. I'd translate it myself but don't have the time just now... I might have more time come next weekend, but if you'd rather have a go Roosterfry here it is.

Quote:
I have looked for a site that clearly has the SOP but found mainly enthusiasts' articles. The site I found to be the most credible was a website that had the Jaerhon preserve information "gene bank" as well as contact information for the preserve at the bottom of the page. I did translate that one. it's posted a few pages back on this thread. I'm happy to see people showing interest in this breed because I really believe Jaers have a lot to contribute to the chicken community....

I think that it is just going to be a matter of all of us searching for what information that is out there, so far when I do searches other then wikipedia this is the site that comes back most often from google. But we will find out more. Myself I think that we are going to find out much more by ourselves as we get the numbers to work with, I think is also the answer to getting both varieties, its going to take breeding some numbers, this is why I am going to order chicks from both Ideal and Sandhill this year.

As we get the numbers a lot more questions will be answered for ourselves in our own flocks.

Its going to be a very interesting year !

I tried to translate with the Danish, but was unable...
idunno.gif
I could only copy and past the first paragraph and it translated very rough. Oh well... Maybe someone will know Danish??? One thing I could get is the picture on there, it said a dark rooster on the right and a light hen on the left.

Rooster, the standard is in Norwegian not Danish. I was playing with the computer and I tried google translation using Norwegian and it did the first paragraph just fine. Like you I can't get it to copy the rest. Oh, the frustration. There must be some way to change the rest into a translateable form.

Back
Top Bottom