Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
Quote:
Dang I thought about trying that! I thought it looked Norwegian
lau.gif
I just figured maybe some words in danish and norsk were similar. Oh well. I tried googling the first paragraph just as it was and I found the link the only problem is you can only copy a couple sections. Hmm... I'm thinking....

The first paragraph on that page is not a part of the SOP, it's just an introduction, and yes that part is in Norwegian. The scans of the SOP though are in Danish. Trust me. Norwegian is my first language and I'm fairly fluent in Danish as well. If you can have a bit of patience I can translate the lot into English manually no problem... Just gotta have the time to sit down with it
smile.png

Quote:
Totally patient
smile.png
cool as a cucumber over here
thumbsup.gif

Cooool
smile.png
I'm working a bit on the main part now, I'll post it below, and then do the colours later...

I may need a little help on the English terminology - I understand the words in Norwegian and Danish, but some I'm not sure what the best English translations are as I've never read SOPs in English... (and mostly the SOPs I read are for dogs so not quite the same terminology...
Sooo about the beak would it be right to say "yellow with a slightly greyish horn colour"?

I'll probably have more questions like these...!

ETA: Oh and any fancy word for belly/abdomen? Also not certain of the exact equivalent of A-fawlt and fawlt, I'm thinking A-fawlt is a defect and fawlt is a disqualifier? Any comments? Editing this because I wrote it the wrong way around - Fawlts seem to be more severe than A-fawlts!

Last edited:
NORWEGIAN JÆRHØNS

A. ORIGIN:
Norwegian landrace fowl that were developped on Jæren near Stavanger (Norwegian west coast) from around 1920, which are very good egg layers of white eggs. Very hardy, very frugal and good foragers.

B. OVERALL IMPRESSION, BEHAVIOUR AND TEMPERAMENT:
Nice chicken breed of the landrace type with a quite lively temperament and not unlike the Danish Landrace Fowl in temperament and size. A primary trait in the breed is that it is autosexing in both colours.

C. BREED CHARACTERISTICS:
ROOSTER:
Body: Lightly constricted, cylindrical, seems firm and thickset.
Head: Medium sized, not too wide.
Face: Smooth; no feathers, down or wrinkles.
Eyes: Well-rounded, vivacious, reddish brown.
Beak: Quite strong and lightly curved, yellow with a slightly greyish horn colour.
Comb: Straight single comb with 4 or 5 backwards slanting not too spiky points, following the curvature of the neck.
Ear lobes: Small, slightly oblong, smooth and white.
Wattles: Medium length, well rounded.
Neck: Not too long, though slightly straight and with full feathering.
Back: Approximately horizontal, lightly curved.
Tail: High carriage, 60-70 degree angle, full and with well curved sickle feathers.
Wings: Quite strong in relation, tight, not carried too low.
Chest: Well rounded, slighty protruding.
Belly: Broad and full.
Thighs: Quite strong and well defined, without being too prominent.
Shanks: Medium to short length, quite thin, yellowwhite with grey nails (all yellow shanks is not a fawlt).

HEN:
In accordance with the above description, allowing for the natural gender differences. The tail though not carried quite so high (40-60 degree angle), carried with a good fan-shape, and quite broad control feathers.
Comb: Small and quite fine-tissued, so that it lops slightly in the back.

EGGS:
Shell colour is white.
Minimum weight for hatching eggs: 55 grams.

Weight:
Rooster: 1.75-2.00 kilograms (3.9-4.4 lbs)
Hen: 1,5-1,75 kilograms (3.3-3,9 lbs)

Leg band size:
Rooster: F
Hen: G

A-faults: White in the face, significantly red ear lobes.

Faults: Too light and thin in body, greenish shanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Great!
big_smile.png
Any suggestions as to choice of words let me know and I'll edit - will get to the colours eventually, but this is it for today
wink.png
If you like I can post the whole thing as a separate thread when it's all done, so it's easier to find and more cohesive
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom