Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
From Roosterfry - "This is my favorite colored rooster smallest body too, I'm thinking about breeding him to my favorite colored darkest hen to see what I get. Love the coloring on him."
"Just a pic of them doing what chickens do"

Nice pics Roosterfry. I love your roosters. Discoveregg, thanks for posting the pictures.
I have Jaer eggs for sale by the half dozen. If anyone is interested pm me.

Great lookin' birds Roosterfry. i do like that roo in the top pick above, very saturated colors. Has anyone else noticed that their older birds' plumage is a bit faded? Even after a molt? My 2.5 yr olds are a shade paler than my new birds.

I will have eggs available shortly too. Birds are penned, just waiting for production to uptick and the pullet eggs to get a tad larger.

I live in southern Norway where the most successful norwegian breeder of standard size Jærhøne lives. There is also a bantam version in two colors: brown-yellow and yellow-brown. I have no J myself, being a sultan breeder, but it's a popular chicken.

I live in northern Vermont and am of Norwegian descent (Vikra on Karmoy). Just heard about this breed--can you tell me where to buy them? Would like to buy started pullets if possible. I understand from a publication put out by Hobby Farms Magazine that these birds are good layers and do well on free range.

Thanks,
Dave

Welcome Dave! Sandhill Preservation Center and Ideal Hatchery both carry Jaers. Sandhill only does straight run, not sure about Ideal. The chicks are easily color sexed at hatch. Or there are several of us that offer hatching eggs, if you are able to hatch your own birds.

Back
Top Bottom