not all birds are created equal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon is very pretty..... silkie or silkie cross?

just went blind trying to read and complete our 2012 USDA farm survey (darn tiny print online)

I'm interested in this topic. Will have to read into it more. (currently on page 5).

frow.gif

Dragon has laid one egg in her whole life. Then Widget, bought as a companion for Dragon, went broody and Dragon discovered the joy of motherhood without the bother of sitting on a nest for 21 days - Widget hatches em, Dragon steals them. It works for them.
smile.png

Celtic - Dragon is a silkie X. She didn't hatch with her crossbeak, it developed after she was a week or so old. Dragon has a home for life here on this farm. She will either die of natural causes or she will humanely euthanized when it becomes apparent that her quality of life has tanked. She is right now out in her pen, sunbathing and enjoying life with her stolen children.

Wow! While I do not have visions of breeding any of my birds for sale, I did buy Silver Appleyards because first I love their looks, size and the fact that they are endangered. I really don't know if my birds are from show quality or not. Didn't matter to me. I wanted to be able to help keep this breed alive and well. I had a basic idea of what to look for but do not have the book, do not want to show my birds and to be honest, I think I would have a very hard time selling any of my birds to someone I didn't know. I go over and above for my flat footed buddies as well as all of the other breeds I have here. If I wasn't sure that the person wanting birds from me was going to at least try to keep them in a similar way.....call me stupid, but I just couldn't do it.

I know this really doesn't have much to do with the original thread's intention, it's more an observation at how ignorant I was before reading this thread. I'd say the thread, controversial though it may seem to some, will be a huge help to someone unlearned, such as myself, for future reference in planning their breeding. Either for self or sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom