Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I have a question, this thread has been really help full, but here's one more thing. I have a flock that are carriers of mareks. unfortunately I don't have the right type of breeds to breed my own flock, but I will be getting new birds soon. These birds will not be vaccinated. I need to know what is the chance that most will make it. I can't get vaccinated birds, as these breeds can only be found at a breeders.

Last edited:
I know you posted this a couple weeks ago, but after reading the symptoms, it doesn't sound at all like Marek's to me, it sounds like a respiratory thing, if they have any sores, then I would think fowl pox. which btw, suck, I bought a few hens from someone and next thing I knew I had this running rampant through my flock =/ some did ok, some caught it. Some actually lived then a coon or something got them.

Do you mean my question?

Did you have birds come down with Marek's? How do you know they are carriers? I'm no expert but I think it is nearly impossible to answer your question with any accuracy...some have great survival rates, some not, and as to the strain, I have no idea whether different strains have been identified but it would be impossible to determine for sure outside of a lab and we would just be guessing.

Thank you for all the advice people have given me on this site
smile.png

Last edited:
I know you posted this a couple weeks ago, but after reading the symptoms, it doesn't sound at all like Marek's to me, it sounds like a respiratory thing, if they have any sores, then I would think fowl pox. which btw, suck, I bought a few hens from someone and next thing I knew I had this running rampant through my flock =/ some did ok, some caught it. Some actually lived then a coon or something got them.
One of my Marek's birds had sores.

very interesting. Looks like fowl pox too. did it get the gunk in it's mouth?
It was NOT pox!

From post number 22 of this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737743/slowly-fading-away/20

Results are in.

This is an email from my vet today.

Hi Nancy, I received a fax from UNH today-- it was lymphoma, most
likely from Marek's disease. There is nothing to do at this point but
watch the other chickens. It is passed by inhalation of debris from
affected feathers, if the other chickens were exposed there is nothing
you can do. Cross your fingers, the more time goes by without
symptoms the better, the most common symptom is limb weakness. Give me
a call if you have any question, Sarah

it is sad when we have to watch them suffer. I hope you understand I wasn't saying your chicken had pox, I was saying it looks similar in my opinion :)
It was NOT pox!

From post number 22 of this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737743/slowly-fading-away/20

Results are in.

This is an email from my vet today.

Hi Nancy, I received a fax from UNH today-- it was lymphoma, most
likely from Marek's disease. There is nothing to do at this point but
watch the other chickens. It is passed by inhalation of debris from
affected feathers, if the other chickens were exposed there is nothing
you can do. Cross your fingers, the more time goes by without
symptoms the better, the most common symptom is limb weakness. Give me
a call if you have any question, Sarah