Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

It was -30°F here for a while this last year. We got through it with no frostbite. I find that moisture plus cold is far more damaging to tissuse than cold alone and my coop is well vented. I have a "heated" dog bowl so their water doesn't freeze, but it does not heat the water so much as keep it barely above freezing.... so there is minimal to no steam off of it. I do give them a warm oatmeal mash on those cold days and check their feet often though!

Thanks, that's what I am hoping.

Just don't forget to quarrantine... for other ailments!

I learned through my horses years ago that even with chickens, if you watch them you will know if they are too cold. I also think it's easier for them to stay warm in a smaller space which would not be possible here with me, but being able to huddle is good. Sometimes I wonder if I would even try taking the roost down and seeing if they huddle in the shavings. Any thoughts on that?

Kathy - why would that matter? Just curious. My d'uccle got frostbite last year. I don't keep water in the coop in the cold, but they did all sleep on the floor. No roos left so I don't have to worry, but I wonder why.

jgoldy - I hope it wasn't mareks!

Kathy - why would that matter?  Just curious.  My d'uccle got frostbite last year.  I don't keep water in the coop in the cold, but they did all sleep on the floor.  No roos left so I don't have to worry, but I wonder why.

jgoldy - I hope it wasn't mareks!

I read a thread about it, but don't remember why, and a friend had the same experience with a peahen that refused to roost. That hen lost both of her feet from roosting on the ground and had to be euthanized.

-Kathy

huh! I've had a hen or two over the years that preferred to roost on the ground - but in the coop, the "ground" has fairly deep hay. Some of mine roost on shelves instead of proper roosts. Never had a problem with feet freezing, but perhaps if they were on bare ground or bare snow or ice packed snow, maybe? Keeping in mind that we have typical winters with -20 or -30 below .

First below zero weather last night, -6. Everyone is fine, including the new hens. They are really sweet, very calm and a nice change from my squabbling flock. Me - I'm half frozen from hanging out around the coop to watch.

We are putting a offer in on a farm and of course the first Thing I want to do is get chicks and some ducks.
So do I take my current hens with us? My original hens had mareks. I have lost all but 1 to it. As they have died I replaced them with vaccinated ones. So right now I have 1 unvaccinated hen and 4 vaccinated ones.
The chicks I will get will be vaccinated. None of my current birds are showing symptoms now but I know mareks is just waiting.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Janelle

We are putting a offer in on a farm and of course the first Thing I want to do is get chicks and some ducks.
So do I take my current hens with us? My original hens had mareks. I have lost all but 1 to it. As they have died I replaced them with vaccinated ones. So right now I have 1 unvaccinated hen and 4 vaccinated ones.
The chicks I will get will be vaccinated. None of my current birds are showing symptoms now but I know mareks is just waiting.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Janelle

When was the last time poultry was on the farm? Any illnesses or deaths?

Are you taking any of your current outdoor equipment or poultry stuff with you? This includes lawnmowers, rakes, etc.
Taking your clothes, jackets or shoes with you?

Back
Top Bottom