Not so silky silkies???? Silkie chicks growing normal feathers

My hatchery stock silkie is completely silkied except for her primary flight feathers (pictured here on yours) and 3 tail feathers, which for whatever reason are hard. Truly soft, whispy silkiness seems to be something that has to be strived for hard, like the pillowy cushions of a cochin. I think that perhaps without diligent selection in stock, you'll still get feathers that don't zip! Hatcheries aren't particularly known for their show quality stock since they have to do a fair amount of quantity > quality, so that may be what's going on here. If a bunch of them have single combs I think that's def. grounds to demand answers.

Got an email back.... Hatchery says they were very up front with the person who ordered my chicks for me, that these are breed for meat and higher egg production. That they are crosses. On their website it was NOT stated that they were crosses. Very upset. Will email them back later on today and suggest that they add that onto their website. And also ask them where I could find some actual silkie chicks. Will let these guys grow up, will probably sell most if not all however.....

Aw.

See, that's crazy. You're right....I didn't see anything about crosses when I looked last night either--and their picture wasn't of a silkie cross. That's disappointing!

Now that i look at my 6 silkie babies...2 of them have puffs of fur that recently grew on the back of their knees and have a lot more fur on their feet. What does this mean, if anything?

Thanks for the info. I guess that means they must be mixed? maybe with D'Uccle? Does that mean they are BOYS for sure? They are just pets so it's not a big deal to have jacked up plummage.....but being boys WOULD be an issue....
1f643.png

Not sure. The only vulture hocks I have are on my d'Uccles. My brahmas don't even have them yet. Don't think they have anything to do with gender though.

Ok. Thanks...that is reassuring. Im new at chickens and I special ordered bantam pullets from a big box retail store. Apparently the girl working there was as green as me and told me that was possible to get all pullets. Within 3 weeks i noticed 2 sdeogb boys for sure. So i went back and a man working there that knew about them told me they never sell bantams as sexed. So they gave me 3 more day old chicks and said try them. They promised they will keep replacing the boys until i get all girls. Problem is, my others already formed a flock and beat 2 of the 3 babies until they died during the night
1f602.png
If all 3 would have died i would have just not got any replacements, but i had one loner. So they replaced the one breed and i have to wait on the other to come in. Now I have to do the whole acclimate slowly thing with them and find homes for all the boys....per hubby. I am hoping he will let me keep one boy. But just like with my ducks, i had to learn about chickens the hard way! So you will probably see me on here frequently asking dumb questions...lol

Back
Top Bottom