Not so silky silkies???? Silkie chicks growing normal feathers

Probably wouldn't leave them to their own in the pen with the big ones. Do you have a cage you can put them in inside of your run?

Let them see each other, and get used to seeing each other before they all go in together. From my personal experience, let that go on for 2 weeks or more then let them free-range together (if yours do that). Some pecking and chasing is normal after they're all together, as long as it isn't brutal. Pecking order and such.

They'll just keep attacking the new ones if there's no warm-up.

I'm not seasoned either but I should be a master-integrator by now.
But maybe one day. But until then, +1 grain of salt.

I did research after the tragady and found out that i should put them seperate but visible in the run and after they are equal in size i can watchfully let them free range for a couple weeks. Then let them be together, but keep seperate sleeping space for the 3 (or 2 if it takes too long to get the one they owe me in) to refuge to just in case. All in all, sounds like about a 6 week process. They are still in seperate brooders as hubby is building them a nice coop & run. Hopefully it will be done this weekend
1f62c.png
I have another dumb question...are bantam roosters just as loud as standard roosters? Thanks for responding.

Its funny you mention that...i was looking up roosters on youtube this evening and saw videos on roo collars. I looked on here to get feedback on them...mixed feedback and some deaths as well. Have you tried any type of collar? I wonder if there is something i can put loosely on my little guys necks now to get them used to the feeling before they begin to crow? Our town doesnt allow chickens or ducks at all. I have 2 ducks for about 3 years now (male & female) and my neighbors are ok with them because they dont make much noise except a couple times a week my female will have a couple minute rant! But still nowhere as loud as a rooster crow. I spoke to our city animal control and he said they keep that ordinance to keep the peace. That if my neighbors dont mind then animal control dont see them! But my closest neighbor is expecting a baby any day now after years of trying, so im sure she will not appreciate her baby getting woke up by crowing. If she complains I will have to forfeit my ducks and chickens . My hubby is not willing to chance losing our spoiled rotten trained duckies over a roo! Lol

Last edited:
I honestly can't hear my bantam roos from the house like I can my standard sized boys--my cream legbar goes off at 4AM on the dot every morning without fail.

We had OEGB and d'Uccles now we just have the d'Uccles--the pen they're in is closer to the house and I still honestly can't hear them crow. Not that they aren't loud, but I don't think their higher pitch sound travels quite as far.

Last edited:
I honestly can't hear my bantam roos from the house like I can my standard sized boys--my cream legbar goes off at 4AM on the dot every morning without fail.

We had OEGB and d'Uccles now we just have the d'Uccles--the pen they're in is closer to the house and I still honestly can't hear them crow. Not that they aren't loud, but I don't think their higher pitch sound travels quite as far.
Sounds about right! If you live in a city though, you can't have banty roos, they are probably more likely to cause complaint because everyone is so close to each other, and holy moly are they annoying when they are 23 feet away!!!

Oh, I know--I had illegal chickens in Cleveland for about a year. And my barred rock rooster. Sold eggs downtown, made enough money so they literally paid for themselves.

Edit: correction, it was more like a year and 6 months.

Some times I take a few birds with me when I go back to visit just to spite them.

Last edited:
Oh, I know--I had illegal chickens in Cleveland for about a year. And my barred rock rooster. Sold eggs downtown, made enough money so they literally paid for themselves.

Edit: correction, it was more like a year and 6 months.

Some times I take a few birds with me when I go back to visit just to spite them.
Bahaha! That's so funny!

Back
Top Bottom