Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

My Leghorn is a girl and looks just like that.

At what age and are you sure it's female?

A mature Leghorn will have very significant comb and wattles, regardless of gender. But any chick, regardless of breed, who develops a large red comb and wattle at less than 14-16 weeks of age at a bare minimum, is a cockerel.

Last edited:
First off how NICE AND HELPFUL of you to do this thread and your actually keeping up!!! Thats awesome. I have 16 4.5wk old chicks. My first batch hatching myself, with new batches coming. But this being my 1st self hatched group that I am watching and studying and trying to really learn a lot from. I can't imagine bombarding you with 16 photos so instead a question. All of my chicks have waddle development, I sort of expected the cockerels to have waddle development first before pullets. Now I'm hoping that isn't the case bc otherwise I've got 16 cockerels???? I'm stressing lol. About 2-3 I noticed some pinking/darkening in the waddles so I feel confident those 3 are likely cockerels with more sure to come. But is waddle development at 4.5 weeks normal in pullets?? Also not sure if important but they are all orpingtons. Again thanks for all the help you are providing
1f600.png
1f600.png

I have not been on BYC for a bit and was really pleased to see this thread. I have 4 chicks of about 14weeks. One is Def a male :( but the other three? Well I think two are pullets and one is a maybe?) I will post pics tomorrow if I can to see what you all think?

I have had bother wiht my computer having gotten myself a virus so everything is a bit messed up right now -lol Will maybe take time to find everything.

Oes.x

Last edited:
First off how NICE AND HELPFUL of you to do this thread and your actually keeping up!!! Thats awesome. I have 16 4.5wk old chicks. My first batch hatching myself, with new batches coming. But this being my 1st self hatched group that I am watching and studying and trying to really learn a lot from. I can't imagine bombarding you with 16 photos so instead a question. All of my chicks have waddle development, I sort of expected the cockerels to have waddle development first before pullets. Now I'm hoping that isn't the case bc otherwise I've got 16 cockerels???? I'm stressing lol. About 2-3 I noticed some pinking/darkening in the waddles so I feel confident those 3 are likely cockerels with more sure to come. But is waddle development at 4.5 weeks normal in pullets?? Also not sure if important but they are all orpingtons. Again thanks for all the help you are providing
1f600.png
1f600.png

I have 3 6-week old Orpingtons right now & 2 of mine have me stumped too. I have had Orpingtons before that developed pink combs and wattles at this age & were obvious boys. 2 that I have right now though, I still have no idea what they are.
They have pink wattles but no pink in the comb. They kind of act like pullets; no play fighting and are somewhat shy.

I am just waiting to see how they develop, good luck with yours!

I have 3 6-week old Orpingtons right now & 2 of mine have me stumped too. I have had Orpingtons before that developed pink combs and wattles at this age & were obvious boys. 2 that I have right now though, I still have no idea what they are.
They have pink wattles but no pink in the comb. They kind of act like pullets; no play fighting and are somewhat shy. 

I am just waiting to see how they develop, good luck with yours! 

Yes almost all 16 of my 4.5 week olds have waddles with some pink but only 2 have color starting in the combs. So I'm praying waddle color is not as important as comb color??? Lol praying big time cause if not I've got probably 15 cockerels and 1 pullets. Just can't be true. But I also think some just looks more girly and have more pullets temperaments etc.

Hi I have four light Sussex and was told when I bought them they were all pullets. However this afternoon I heard one of them make a cockerel like crow. When I got them I questioned if they were boys but was told all girls. They are currently about 25 weeks (according to what I was told). Any help clarifying the sex would be great. Thank you

Hi I have four light Sussex and was told when I bought them they were all pullets. However this afternoon I heard one of them make a cockerel like crow. When I got them I questioned if they were boys but was told all girls. They are currently about 25 weeks (according to what I was told). Any help clarifying the sex would be great. Thank you

They all look female. Are you sure it wasn't egg song that you heard?

3 months old wyandotte, pullet or roo?
Pullet.
All pullets

My answers are in red next to the pictures. There are a couple I'm not sure on, and you might want to post pictures of them again in two or three weeks.

Dont think of the tail feathers or the red combs because until they start cock a doodle do.

These are all hens 4/2016 born
[/IMG] These were born this week.

My Leghorn

Lastly my lil boopie born last night.
Sultan

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Back
Top Bottom