Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

My hen hatched out these chicks five weeks ago. Any guesses on Pullets or roos? The first and second are the same bird, an easter egger.

This black chick is a olive egger

This dark blue chick was supposed to be a blue marans, but lacks the correct comb and feathered feet. I think it must be some kind of mix. Thoughts? It is the smallest of all the chicks.

This is the black copper marans

The last chick is another easter egger

Thank you for your help!!!!!!

8 week old buff Orpington. She is the biggest and the sweetest of my 25 chicks. She is also my favorite :D

Last edited:
Here are my 4-5 week olds from the farm store (bought as pullets but I have my suspicions about one or 2): thanks fit any clues!
Buff orpington 1

Buff Orpington 2

Black Australorp 1

Black Austrolorp 2

Silver Laced Wyandotte 1
[/IMG]
Silver Laced Wyandotte 2

Hello, I'm new to chickens and I have 2 EE chicks that are around 6 or 7 weeks old. I'm wondering if I have pullets or cockerels.

And here's them side by side a good view of each comb.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
1. has some red feathers coming in, a wide comb, & stands upright like a roo. That's my guess.
2. has the typical pullet feather pattern.

Here are my 4-5 week olds from the farm store (bought as pullets but I have my suspicions about one or 2): thanks fit any clues!
Buff orpington 1

Buff Orpington 2

Black Australorp 1

Black Austrolorp 2

Silver Laced Wyandotte 1
[/URL]
Silver Laced Wyandotte 2
It's really too young to know, but I noticed a few things.

The BOs still look female at this point.

Both BA's are standing upright. That could be a sign of a roo or also a sign that the chick was nervous about having its pic taken. BA #2 does have some color in the wattles. That could also be a male sign (or just a sign that it was hot/scared), so I'd keep an eye out to see if the comb shoots up. It too early to correctly tell gender, but I'd watch for other clues as well.

Wyandotte #2 has a very pink comb. WOW! If you had a male, my guess would be that one. However, I don't know much about sexing that breed, and I've heard other people mention that they get pink early. The good news is that you have 2 of each breed. That will make it easy to compare.

Back
Top Bottom