Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

It's really too young to know, but I noticed a few things.

The BOs still look female at this point.  

Both BA's are standing upright.  That could be a sign of a roo or also a sign that the chick was nervous about having its pic taken.  BA #2 does have some color in the wattles. That could also be a male sign (or just a sign that it was hot/scared), so I'd keep an eye out to see if the comb shoots up. It too early to correctly tell gender, but I'd watch for other clues as well. 

Wyandotte #2 has a very pink comb.  WOW! If you had a male, my guess would be that one.  However, I don't know much about sexing that breed, and I've heard other people mention that they get pink early.  The good news is that you have 2 of each breed.  That will make it easy to compare.

Thank you! BA 1 does not usually stand like that, but she's is my most nervous chick. Also, she got long straight tail feathers way before the other one.

SLW 2 is my top rooster candidate. In addition to color on his comb, he looks like a giraffe walking around with his head up so high, and he's a bit pushy with the other chicks.I will post better pics in a few weeks (who knew my basement was so dark). Thanks so much!

Also, I have some several week old Orpingtons that my son is planning to show in 4H. Is there a thread where someone would look at/evaluate them in that light?

Here are SLW 2's wattles

Thank you! BA 1 does not usually stand like that, but she's is my most nervous chick. Also, she got long straight tail feathers way before the other one.

SLW 2 is my top rooster candidate. In addition to color on his comb, he looks like a giraffe walking around with his head up so high, and he's a bit pushy with the other chicks.I will post better pics in a few weeks (who knew my basement was so dark). Thanks so much!

Also, I have some several week old Orpingtons that my son is planning to show in 4H. Is there a thread where someone would look at/evaluate them in that light?

I'd say the Australorps are a wait and see. The tail difference isn't meaningful -- lots of variability in hatchery stock. And presuming these were vent sexed at the hatchery, that's 90% accurate so I would try not to worry about them.

That 2nd SLW, OTOH, is almost certainly a cockerel. They do often look a bit pink but yours has crossed the line into the cockerel red shades.

If you look through the forum categories, there is a section for breeds and there should be an Orpington thread there. That's where I'd look for people who know a lot about a specific breed.

I'd say the Australorps are a wait and see. The tail difference isn't meaningful -- lots of variability in hatchery stock. And presuming these were vent sexed at the hatchery, that's 90% accurate so I would try not to worry about them.

That 2nd SLW, OTOH, is almost certainly a cockerel. They do often look a bit pink but yours has crossed the line into the cockerel red shades.

If you look through the forum categories, there is a section for breeds and there should be an Orpington thread there. That's where I'd look for people who know a lot about a specific breed.
Okay, thank you! I appreciate all the help and education.

I've got a few I'm wondering about! I bought what I was told were black sex link pullets, but I believe they are barred rock, not sure if pullets or cockerels though. They just look so vastly different. If they are truly sex links then I got 5 Roos and 1 hen
1f633.png

"Minnie"

"Daisy"

"Moana"

Any and all help is much appreciated! Minnie and daisy are two of the 4 that look very similar and Moana is the one that looks different- all claimed to be "black sex link pullets" from TSC. I'm thinking they are actually barred rock- hopefully pullets

Brand new to chickens, brand new to BYC! Hello! My 4 babies are finally 5 and 6 weeks, so I thought I'd drop by over here and see if anyone has any clues for me :) Thanks so much in advance - and I tried to get good shots, I promise!

#1: Cuckoo Maran, 6 weeks old

#2 Buckeye, 5 weeks

One more of the comb

#3 Easter Egger, 5 weeks

And one of the comb

And finally #4, Speckled Sussex, 5 weeks old

I have some 4 week old bantam Wheaten/blue wheaten Araucana. I read that they are easy to sex by colour at a month old, but I'm struggling with a few of them. Can anyone help please?

Chick 1 (Right). So I guess Left is a wheaten male, middle is blue wheaten male? Chick 1 has no comb development (the other two are pink)

Chick 2 - doesn't look blue so think wheaten, so quite light in colour but has black flecks in neck feathers.

Chick 3 (lots of blue)

Chick 4 - I have most confidence in this one being a pullet, hope I'm right?

Chick 5 bantam gold lace wyandotte, 4.5 weeks

Chick 6; 4 week old Silver double laced bantam Barnevelder (boy?)

Chick 7; 3 week old bantam black/red European Araucana. Probably too young but I can't find anything on sexing these; are there any colour differences to look out for? If so, at what age should they show up?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom