Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

The red ones all look similar, except one has a grey beak, one a pink beak and one half pink-half grey. Any guess on the breed or gender of the red ones and the pale yellow one? They all have feathered feet, all Bantams, but the yellow one has more feathers all the way along the legs.

This is the best picture I have of them. Any guesses as to breed or gender please?
20170521_192808.jpg
20170521_192812.jpg
20170521_192718.jpg

View attachment 555522
The #6 Grey one is definitely a Roo. So is #3 He looks like this Roo I had a while back.(top left hand corner.)
It looks a lot like yours. I'll have to get updated pictures tomorrow. These were from about 2 weeks ago. I can only tell them apart from their feet. Only one of them really has a "roo attitude" and it doesn't have tail feathers or fully feathered out yet.

I have a couple of questions.
1. The 2 birds in the first 3 pictures are almost 6 weeks old what are your opinions on hen or roo?
2. Then the others birds are around 4-5 weeks and they should be the same age within the breeds. So the naked necks are the same age and the Orpingtons are the same even though one is a lavender and one is blue. My question about them is again hen or roo but one has more feathers then the other so can I assume that the ones with less feathers are roos? I am trying to learn so any info on how to tell would be appreciated. I have been reading a ton but experience is so much more.
1. The gray laced looks like a pullet so far (small pale comb, no wattles). The brownish black has a larger comb that looks faintly pink in the pictures. Could go either way at this age. (but I lean toward pullet since no wattles and horizontal stance- a very unreliable predictor from photos!)
2. At 4 weeks, you might see an early developing male, usually larger pink/reddish comb and sometimes male specific feather coloring. I don't see anything like that in your younger chicks, so cannot say one way or another for those. You will need to wait and watch. and maybe post new pics next week!

Last edited:
View attachment 555172 View attachment 555174 View attachment 555175 Anyone have an idea on the sex of my 8 week old chicks? This is last pics before moving out to the coop.
Pics in red light make it very difficult to judge comb color. Best I can do for you is to have you compare the 2 black chicks in your first picture. Chick on the left has a very low thin comb with no red coloring at all. At 8 weeks, I would expect that one to be a pullet. The other chick near the feeder has a prominent comb... and it looks red. I think that is a cockerel. In general, at 8 weeks, the red combs of most cockerels are visible across the coop... like little red flags. Once you look, it is easy to see. Wattles can be another sign, same thing... larger and red for cockerels, small and pale for pullets.

Last edited:
View attachment 555354 View attachment 555355 View attachment 555356

The gray and white and black chicks are 5.5 weeks old. Same dad different moms. Dad was a silver Wyandotte and unsure moms breeds. We were hoping for a few new hens and I felt we had some but we had a predator attack Friday and lost mama and 5 chicks. These are the two left. I've thought for awhile the white and gray is probably a cockerel, thoughts on both? Thanks!
Sorry about your loss... predator attacks are heartbreaking. Both birds you are questioning look like cockerels... bright red combs before 6 wks gives them away.

Back
Top Bottom