Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Good morning all!! I'm posting for my Mom this morning. She has 4 RIR's and she believes that they are about 6-7 weeks old. This is the only usable picture she sent me so far. I'll try to get a few more. Can anyone tell by looking at this one whether she has pullers or Roos? Thanks in advance!!

Last time I was sad that you sexed all my "Chickens" as roosters and I didn't want to believe it. They were! Now they are soup. I'm totally a believer.
th.gif

Here are some new babies... What's the verdict?
fl.gif
5 chicks 3-4days

Last time I was sad that you sexed all my "Chickens" as roosters and I didn't want to believe it. They were! Now they are soup. I'm totally a believer.
th.gif

Here are some new babies... What's the verdict?
fl.gif
5 chicks 3-4days

Too young. Sexing by wing feathers is only accurate if a chick has been specifically bred for it. It takes a very specific set of genetics that are not common to all breeds.

Hello! I have a batch of chicks that are all 4 weeks old, now. I'm posting pics of a few, in case they can be sexed:

Chick #1, Olive Egger. This OE doesn't seem to have much in the way of wattles, but neither do any of my four Easter Eggers of the same age.

Chick #2, Splash or Mottled/Spangled Orpington

Chick #3, Easter Egger. This one has loads of personality.

Chick #4, Jubilee Orpington. I am thinking pullet, because her Jubilee Orp hatchmate that started out the same size, and is now HUGE compared to this one, starts all the fights, and has a pinkish comb and wattles.

Thanks for any input you can give at this early date.

Last edited:
Hello! I have a batch of chicks that are all 4 weeks old, now. I'm posting pics of a few, in case they can be sexed:

Might be male b/c of slight pink color. Keep an eye out to see if it gets darker.
The comb is otherwise thin, so if the bird was a little heated, that would make the heat seem darker..

Chick #1, Olive Egger. This OE doesn't seem to have much in the way of wattles, but neither do any of my four Easter Eggers of the same age.

Chick #2, Splash Orpington
Hard to tell, but it still looks female right now. My male orps get huge combs around 4 wks. The wattles also drop.

Chick #3, Easter Egger. This one has loads of personality. Many EEs have A LOT of personality. LOL

The comb looks thin (it's screaming female), but the legs look pretty thick (male). Also there might be some red feathers growing in, which would also mean male. This one confuses me. Maybe post some more pics in another week after more feathers grow in.

Chick #4, Jubilee Orpington. I am thinking pullet, because her Jubilee Orp hatchmate that started out the same size, and is now HUGE compared to this one, starts all the fights, and has a pinkish comb and wattles.
Looks like a pullet

Thanks for any input you can give at this early date.

Buff Orpington #1

Buff Orpington #2

Australorp

EE

It's still early..... but the buff orps still look like females. (#2 looks a little more mature.) The EE also looks female & has the very common EE pullet feather color pattern. The Blk Australorp has a larger comb, so not sure. At the moment there's no color in it, so no reason to say it's male. I don't know enough about the breed.

Thank you so much! I love your comment about EEs and their personality. I've never had any before, and now I have four chicks, including two frizzles. They are so fun to watch.

I'll post pics of the other five chicks from this batch soon. I really appreciate your taking time to look at them, and I am happy to have 'guesses' at this point.

big_smile.png

Good morning all!! I'm posting for my Mom this morning. She has 4 RIR's and she believes that they are about 6-7 weeks old. This is the only usable picture she sent me so far. I'll try to get a few more. Can anyone tell by looking at this one whether she has pullers or Roos? Thanks in advance!!
It's not a good pic, but from what I can see, there are 3 males & 1 female. The one on the far right is the female.

Back
Top Bottom