November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Ive a hen brooding :p
For two or 3 weeks so i might get babys any second now
fl.gif
yesss.gif

Put my 14 coturnix quail eggs in lockdown today. I wasn't able to candle them before hand as my bulb was dead in my candler :( it's killing me having to wait it out!

Here's my view inside my bator

Ok so I couldn't sit on my hands any longer not knowing if they were still alive so I took the case off my iPhone and used the flashlight to candle one of them.

The single one I candled didn't have an internal pip but it did have movement!! :woot: I have hope in my itty bitty eggs!

The baby i was worried about was hatched when i got up this morning!

Sweet!!
Eggs due to hatch Mon-Wed...it's now Tuesday...

No pipping from others, but egg 1 must have passed away while I was asleep...it had tried, but those little eyes were lifeless.

I'm a first timer at incubating, and I watched them with such intensity and research the past weeks, I feel so discouraged...
hit.gif
I had a similar bator and botched my first hatch. Got 7. 18 went into lockdown 36 were set. You still have time though. Don't give up. I gave up too soon I think and maybe I would have done better if I didn't call it a day before I should have.
hugs.gif

I am on day 13 with 8 shipped SPW eggs and 4 of my own 2 Delaware and 2 mutt. All are under my broody Black Australorp When should I candle next? I have three that were questionable the first time .

Lock down for the last 4 eggs that are in the incubator for a friend. 3 Silkies and a BO/RIR. I saw 2 definite movements, and I think 2 did, but can't be sure. 1 of them has some spider cracks in it so I'm not expecting it to make it. I guess with the rough and rowdies last weekend it got cracked. Oh well. We shall see this Friday.

I have a question. Do any of you hatch for friends? This is the situation. I did and 2 of her chicks had curled toes/splayed legs. I created a brace for each of them and they were doing well. She got them home and immediately took the braces off because she thought it would resolve itself and they weren't "very pretty." 2 hours later, she called me and told them they toppled into the water bowls and drowned. They weren't toppling over when they left in braces. My heart hurts because of this and I'm a little upset that I tried to help the chicks and it was for nothing.

As soon as these chicks are out of the incubator, it is going up and will be unused until spring. However, I don't think I can hatch for her again. I don't want to give these last 4 chicks to her at all, if they survive.

I think its extremly awsome when you see babies move in your egg and knowing that the embryo thats moving is going to become your chicken,goose etc

Well going on Day 10 and NO IDEA how my eggs are doing. I usually use a flashlight app for candling but with these Maran eggs all I really see is the air sack. 70 eggs in and hoping they're doing OK. I guess I'll know in another 10-12 days. Last batch started early on day 20 and finished early on day 22.
fl.gif
I have an EE that lays eggs too dark to see into. It is so frustrating!
he.gif

Supposed to be hatch day, but no one is pipping yet. All were looking good on lock down.
My last hatch my chicks all got shrink wrapped in their eggs because humidity was too low. My humidity dropped again, even though I have water in there. I gently tried to open 1 of the 9 up just to make sure they didn't all get stuck again and I'd lose all of them. Unfortunately after I started opening the shell she came out the rest of the way on her own but died about 15 minutes later. So leaving the rest of them and just praying they don't get stuck and suffocate in their shells.
I've never had this problem until recently do you think my incubator could be wearing out???
It's not even a year old, though it'd been running nonstop since April and was the cheapest model...

Supposed to be hatch day, but no one is pipping yet. All were looking good on lock down.
My last hatch my chicks all got shrink wrapped in their eggs because humidity was too low. My humidity dropped again, even though I have water in there. I gently tried to open 1 of the 9 up just to make sure they didn't all get stuck again and I'd lose all of them. Unfortunately after I started opening the shell she came out the rest of the way on her own but died about 15 minutes later. So leaving the rest of them and just praying they don't get stuck and suffocate in their shells.
I've never had this problem until recently do you think my incubator could be wearing out???
It's not even a year old, though it'd been running nonstop since April and was the cheapest model...
It is possibly the weather change........It is for me anyway.
Different outside humidity for summer than fall

Back
Top Bottom