November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I have had a cuteness overload today! My first quail hatched today and is all by itself however I did put a stuffed horse in with it and it cuddled right up to it.

1/14 hatched and 3/13 have piped :woot

Mine are also hatching and I've set some to hatch November 1st and some for November 5. I have 5 out of six hatched today one still has veins and alive so I have to wait on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
My little malpositioned Marans cross is still hanging out in her shell. Her veins are pretty much all absorbed now and she was squawking so I pulled back the top membrane for her. She can get out now whenever she is ready to try. Looks like she is going to make it unless there is some kind of awful surprise waiting for me in the bottom of her shell. For now more waiting and
fl.gif

We have one mal-positioned chick too, pipped at the wrong end. I have not seen it wiggle or move since last night, and another chick bowled it over so I could not see the pip. At lunch time today it was once again rolled and I could see the pip hole. I stared for 5 minutes looking for a sign of life, just as I gave up hope and conceded that it was dead in shell, a chink of shell flies off and a little hatching tooth is poking out! Has not started to zip, but has made itself a bit more room.

I have had a cuteness overload today! My first quail hatched today and is all by itself however I did put a stuffed horse in with it and it cuddled right up to it.

1/14 hatched and 3/13 have piped
woot.gif
Good luck! I know exactly how you feel hahaha

We currently have 3 out and about 12 more pips with a Salmon Fav making quite a large hole for itself! Not a single FW Maran pip yet though.

We have one mal-positioned chick too, pipped at the wrong end. I have not seen it wiggle or move since last night, and another chick bowled it over so I could not see the pip. At lunch time today it was once again rolled and I could see the pip hole. I stared for 5 minutes looking for a sign of life, just as I gave up hope and conceded that it was dead in shell, a chink of shell flies off and a little hatching tooth is poking out! Has not started to zip, but has made itself a bit more room. Good luck! I know exactly how you feel hahaha We currently have 3 out and about 12 more pips with a Salmon Fav making quite a large hole for itself! Not a single FW Maran pip yet though.
Go little breech chick! :) My Marans tend to like to give me a hard time... they are usually the slowest per batch of eggs and prone to being malpositioned or pipping through a vein.

Love it! Prayed it as I read and then again. Thank you. I need to calm down seriously I am so worried! Uggghhh does it ever get better as you hatch more?
I used a LG for my first hatch and really it would have gone better without me, I fussed to much and was a wreck so I know what you are saying. I now hatch on broody schedule and it is so much less stressful. She hatched a test clutch this summer and was a great setter and brooder so when she went broody again a few weeks ago I ordered eggs. We will see how it goes but at least with a broody hatch I don't feel like I was the one who messed up. My DH said that I was so crazed with the bator because I was taking the role of both nature and mama. With a broody hatch I am just the egg delivery gal.

I hope to get a Brinsea Mini Advanced within the next year because I hear they will hatch golf balls but till then it is just broodies for me.

Good Luck to you! I am candling this weekend for the last time. she has 10 eggs and to be honest if I get two little girls out of it I will be thrilled. I hope for the best for you and everyone else on this thread!

Finally have a chick out! And one kinda half way out....nope, make that two out! Another starting to zip. I was starting to worry. They started pipping last night and had all pipped by this morning. When I left for work I just knew I was going to come home to a bator full a chicks. When I didn't I started to panic. But as soon as I got home I had my first zipper and now they are really getting on a roll. I had my first mottled ameraucana pip in the other bator and its zipped at the wrong end
barnie.gif
it's chirping so I'm gonna wait and see
fl.gif
excited for you!!
wee.gif
Sometimes even when they zipp at the wrong end they will come out like not a problem! Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!

so far all his babies have been blue. black astrolope hens too blue babies. He is going in with his daughter and some black and blue marans hen next year.
I was done hatching when I got these cream legbar eggs. They were shipped from Kentucky so wanted some chicken to go along with them if I have just a few of them hatch.....I'll get pictures of the hen tomorow.
Here is my roo some of the blues in the picture are his daughters

Love it! Prayed it as I read and then again. Thank you. I need to calm down seriously I am so worried! Uggghhh does it ever get better as you hatch more?

Sure, one day, after thousands and thousands. Gets a tad easier.
My little malpositioned Marans cross is still hanging out in her shell. Her veins are pretty much all absorbed now and she was squawking so I pulled back the top membrane for her. She can get out now whenever she is ready to try. Looks like she is going to make it unless there is some kind of awful surprise waiting for me in the bottom of her shell. For now more waiting and
fl.gif

In less good news - I have at least 4 droopy chicks in the outside brooder who look like I may lose them soon to the wet pox
sad.png
That would bring the total to 9
hit.gif
I WILL be vaxing my latest and final round of hatchling for the year before I send them outside in a month or so. I just hope the coccidiosis is over by then. And I can manage to remove all traces of it...
I'm so sorry have had so many ill chicks. I am so worried. I have been putting in a half dose of corid in the water for the chicks that are just starting to go outside, preventative. After a week, I'm going to do a quarter dose for a week. They are staying outside all night tonight. Big step for them. They have a covered area but they always want to sit by the door. I put up wind blocks at the door to give them some shelter.

I used a LG for my first hatch and really it would have gone better without me, I fussed to much and  was a wreck so I know what you are saying.  I now hatch on broody schedule and it is so much less stressful.  She hatched a test clutch this summer and was a great setter and brooder so when she went broody again a few weeks ago I ordered eggs.  We will see how it goes but at least with a broody hatch I don't feel like I was the one who messed up.  My DH said that I was so crazed with the bator because I was taking the role of both nature and mama.  With a broody hatch I am just the egg delivery gal.

I hope to get a Brinsea Mini Advanced within the next year because I hear they will hatch golf balls but till then it is just broodies for me.

Good Luck to you!  I am candling this weekend for the last time.  she has 10 eggs and to be honest if I get two little girls out of it I will be thrilled.  I hope for the best for you and everyone else on this thread!
Good luck to you too! My husband is pretty cool about everything except lockdown. I stay up watching and waiting scared to go to sleep. I have this grand fear that if I do something will happen that could have been prevented or assisted if I'd been there...
Anyway hopefully it gets better some hatches down the road.
Here's my miracle baby. Cayuga duckling. Had awful air cell from shipping but has proven to be a real trooper! I'm hoping he comes a bit early!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom