November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

HI,
Just want to add my sometimes thoughts, not push anyones buttons................
I tell you, there are times when I just want to shout...OMG..DON'T DO THAT.....
Then I have to remember my own learning curves...................sooo painful.
I killed a whole bator full of expensive eggs the first new years eve hatch I joined
because I did not understand humidity..................and my DH standing over me saying "can't you do something"
Not mad about the money, he was hurt that I killed the chicks.

Heidi, they are lovel
thumbsup.gif
y.............

Oh, and my little one seems a bit better today........must have gotten the stuck crumble worked down.................
I'm so glad!
I was up since the wee hours...don't know if you recall but I posted the morning of lockdown I discovered the humidity down to 10%
well most of the chicks hatched like popcorn but there were a few that were glued into their shells...I knew something was wrong because they were trying to zip for a long time but not making progress...when I helped them it was so thick my fingers were sticking together...poor babies...then there was the little one that pipped straight on top of the big end, well sure enough when I found it at 5 this morning it had zipped such a small hole it only hatched it's little head, which was dry and fluffy...the rest of it was completely unborn well they're all out except one and strong!! the little one is zipping now.....next weekend Marans!
love.gif
jumpy.gif

I'm thinking the point isn't "ppl asking opinions and advise" I'm assuming she was directing the comment toward anyone that gives opinions matter of factly but actually haven't even studied let alone experienced what they are advising about .

I agree just at the heat of the moment I felt attacked and vented! I didn't mean anything by it!

I am starting my first ever hatch sometime this week. I am collecting the eggs from my barred rocks and white rocks until I have a dozen. They are fertilized by a partridge Cochin, so the chicks should look interesting. I can't wait until my RIR is old enough to fertilize them instead.

I am starting my first ever hatch sometime this week. I am collecting the eggs from my barred rocks and white rocks until I have a dozen. They are fertilized by a partridge Cochin, so the chicks should look interesting. I can't wait until my RIR is old enough to fertilize them instead.
wow...can't wait for pictures of those babies...sound pretty

I just moved a Silkie momma (who hid and hatched her own mutt babies) back to the main egg layer coop, and placed her ten babies (7 weeks and fully feathered!) in a grow-out coop for the winter--she was DONE with those little suckers and kept trying to leave them behind in the yard, so I thought I'd do her a favor. Now, I've taken two broody Silkies and a broody Splash Ameraucana (this one is vicious) and put them in their own private broody cages, nest material included. If they take, I will be setting eggs under them this week! The eggs are mostly our "home-brewed" EEs, from a Blue Ameraucana over a mixed flock of EEs, Amies with faults, Orps, Australorps, Rocks, and a single Red Sex Link. The flock is rigorously culled for size, health, and general appearance.

So excited for winter hatching, so here's hoping that everything goes well
fl.gif

I just moved a Silkie momma (who hid and hatched her own mutt babies) back to the main egg layer coop, and placed her ten babies (7 weeks and fully feathered!) in a grow-out coop for the winter--she was DONE with those little suckers and kept trying to leave them behind in the yard, so I thought I'd do her a favor. Now, I've taken two broody Silkies and a broody Splash Ameraucana (this one is vicious) and put them in their own private broody cages, nest material included. If they take, I will be setting eggs under them this week! The eggs are mostly our "home-brewed" EEs, from a Blue Ameraucana over a mixed flock of EEs, Amies with faults, Orps, Australorps, Rocks, and a single Red Sex Link. The flock is rigorously culled for size, health, and general appearance.

So excited for winter hatching, so here's hoping that everything goes well
fl.gif
Good Luck..............
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom