November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Lol ya I no I just had a 0/10 egg hatch and I wamt to get more eggs and try again just to have the little babies we all love so much!

Quote:

Oh, no! :(
hugs.gif
Hope to hatch duck eggs with you soon and hope for that 100 percent hatch!

And just YES. I have always want a runner duck. Haha. :) Never thought about other ducks yet, though. And chickens are great! I tried at first with peafowl but had a 0/5 hatch because they were scrambled and just bad- so I ordered some day olds from MyPetChicken and it started it for me. Now I finally hatched some silkies!

So I have a silly beginner question. Tomorrow is hatch day for our first set of eggs. I have obviously been watching them very closely. We are hatching in a homemade Styrofoam incubator. I have been very unsure of weather the eggs were developing well or not all along because I just don't think my light was strong enough for our very dark brown and green eggs. Anyway, I came home yesterday and went straight to the incubator. When I looked at one of the eggs set to hatch Sunday, it was shaking vigorously...really it was actually vibrating. To the point that I wondered if something external was causing it, but was unable to find a cause and it was only one egg out of 12 shaking. So my question is, am I crazy or do eggs sometimes shake to the point they appear to vibrate prior to hatching?? I have noticed this happening today a few times. It seems to last about 10 minutes then stop for a while then begin again. Really hope it is a sign that a baby is in our near future!!
fl.gif

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Jen

Oh, no! :( :hugs  Hope to hatch duck eggs with you soon and hope for that 100 percent hatch!

And just YES. I have always want a runner duck. Haha. :) Never thought about other ducks yet, though. And chickens are great! I tried at first with peafowl but had a 0/5 hatch because they were scrambled and just bad- so I ordered some day olds from MyPetChicken and it started it for me. Now I finally hatched some silkies!

Aww which were very cute I saw the video I make the same noises as u when they are coming out ur just so excites that u can't hold it in! I think runners are beautiful ducks!

So I have a silly beginner question.  Tomorrow is hatch day for our first set of eggs.  I have obviously been watching them very closely.  We are hatching in a homemade Styrofoam incubator. I have been very unsure of weather the eggs were developing well or not all along because I just don't think my light was strong enough for our very dark brown and green eggs.  Anyway, I came home yesterday and went straight to the incubator.  When I looked at one of the eggs set to hatch Sunday, it was shaking vigorously...really it was actually vibrating.  To the point that I wondered if something external was causing it, but was unable to find a cause and it was only one egg out of 12 shaking.  So my question is, am I crazy or do eggs sometimes shake to the point they appear to vibrate prior to hatching??  I have noticed this happening today a few times.  It seems to last about 10 minutes then stop for a while then begin again.  Really hope it is a sign that a baby is in our near future!!  :fl

Jen

Yes egg shaking is a very good thing it means ur babies are getting into hatching position! Yay for babies wt r u hatching? And never worry about asking silly questions we all ask silly questions and there are lots of ppl willing to help answer! Oh and welcome to byc!:welcome

Last edited:
Aww which were very cute I saw the video I make the same noises as u when they are coming out ur just so excites that u can't hold it in! I think runners are beautiful ducks!

I literally BIT MY TONGUE to not make many weird noises but couldn't hold it in bahahaha! And yes! Omg! I just love how straight up they are- like penguins! I want to give one a suit. ;___;

And ahh! I heard a light peeeep peeeep peeep and looked over to the brooder and literally everyone is napping and sweet Nova is just snoring. Omg. I thought I knew what cuteness was but nope- that was too darn adorable. :|

So I have a silly beginner question. Tomorrow is hatch day for our first set of eggs. I have obviously been watching them very closely. We are hatching in a homemade Styrofoam incubator. I have been very unsure of weather the eggs were developing well or not all along because I just don't think my light was strong enough for our very dark brown and green eggs. Anyway, I came home yesterday and went straight to the incubator. When I looked at one of the eggs set to hatch Sunday, it was shaking vigorously...really it was actually vibrating. To the point that I wondered if something external was causing it, but was unable to find a cause and it was only one egg out of 12 shaking. So my question is, am I crazy or do eggs sometimes shake to the point they appear to vibrate prior to hatching?? I have noticed this happening today a few times. It seems to last about 10 minutes then stop for a while then begin again. Really hope it is a sign that a baby is in our near future!!
fl.gif

Jen

Yes! Mine shook before hatching! :) One started shaking late night on lockdown and by the 19th, Yami, my black silkie was pipping and wanting out of that cramped egg. It happened so fast. o-o

fl.gif
Crossing my fingers for you! You are going to be soooooooooo HAPPY once you see that pip omg.

Yes egg shaking is a very good thing it means ur babies are getting into hatching position! Yay for babies wt r u hatching?
Pretty much just some cute little mutt chickens!! LOL We have so many different kinds in one coop! I know I have some pure Rhode Island Reds in there as a have a couple hens and my big rooster. We also have some Dominique eggs, but the rooster is again a Rhode Island. The funny part is, the one I am hoping desperately will hatch is an egg from my sweet black and gold chicken I don't even know the breed! She was given to me several years ago, and she is just so sweet. She isn't in the best health as she is getting older and I would just LOVE to have one of her babies before we lose her. She is my green egg layer. We also have one Delaware egg that will be pure Delaware from my other coop. OH and one white Leghorn/RIR Cross. See, told ya it was a mix!!
lau.gif

So I have a silly beginner question.  Tomorrow is hatch day for our first set of eggs.  I have obviously been watching them very closely.  We are hatching in a homemade Styrofoam incubator. I have been very unsure of weather the eggs were developing well or not all along because I just don't think my light was strong enough for our very dark brown and green eggs.  Anyway, I came home yesterday and went straight to the incubator.  When I looked at one of the eggs set to hatch Sunday, it was shaking vigorously...really it was actually vibrating.  To the point that I wondered if something external was causing it, but was unable to find a cause and it was only one egg out of 12 shaking.  So my question is, am I crazy or do eggs sometimes shake to the point they appear to vibrate prior to hatching??  I have noticed this happening today a few times.  It seems to last about 10 minutes then stop for a while then begin again.  Really hope it is a sign that a baby is in our near future!!  :fl

Jen
I am going to assume that these are chicken eggs (the only kind I have any experience with) and that by "Hatch Day" you mean day 21 :) Yes, some do visibly wiggle! That is a good sign of life in there getting ready to join the world. But don't be concerned if they don't. In all my batches I've almost never seen any movement and its never mattered at all ;) Depending on many factors - temp being the biggest - they can hatch any time during lockdown. Sometimes if your temps were low they can even be delayed as late as day 25 but that isn't typical from my experience. Now that my temps and humidity are really steady I pretty much always have pips late in the afternoon of day 20 and zipping the evening of the 21st day, with everybody hatched by the morning of the 22nd at the latest. When the season changed I suddenly had them all pushing the timetable a day later. I upped my temp .3 degrees and everybody went back on schedule, LOL!

Last edited:
Pretty much just some cute little mutt chickens!! LOL  We have so many different kinds in one coop!  I know I have some pure Rhode Island Reds in there as a have a couple hens and my big rooster.  We also have some Dominique eggs, but the rooster is again a Rhode Island.  The funny part is, the one I am hoping desperately will hatch is an egg from my sweet black and gold chicken I don't even know the breed!  She was given to me several years ago, and she is just so sweet.  She isn't in the best health as she is getting older and I would just LOVE to have one of her babies before we lose her.  She is my green egg layer.  We also have one Delaware egg that will be pure Delaware from my other coop.  OH and one white Leghorn/RIR Cross.  See, told ya it was a mix!! :lau

Sometimes mutts make the prettiest babies!:jumpy

I literally BIT MY TONGUE to not make many weird noises but couldn't hold it in bahahaha! And yes! Omg! I just love how straight up they are- like penguins! I want to give one a suit. ;___;

And ahh! I heard a light peeeep peeeep peeep and looked over to the brooder and literally everyone is napping and sweet Nova is just snoring. Omg. I thought I knew what cuteness was but nope- that was too darn adorable. :|

Yep I tried to also bit my tongue but that didn't happen its a over my video of my babies hatching too! It must be the new mamma sound we make for them! Lol

Back
Top Bottom