November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

where its placed in the house will matter...it's my experience that anywhere from 25 to 40% for incubation then up to 65-70% for hatching
nearing the last week avoid letting the humidity dip below 35-40%....my last hatch the humidity dipped to 10% the day of lock down (day 18) I pumped it up and for the most part everything was okay but there were a few that obviously dried just enough that when the humidity went back up the inner membrane turned to glue....if I didn't know what was happening when they were trying to hatch it would have been fatal for them...

what day are your eggs? if you can get your humidity down to 45%...the biggest issue is making certain they dehydrate enough for them to have a big enough air cell at hatch time...I hardly ever add water until the last few days because the humidity is usually good here if there are quite a few eggs in the incubator...

you just have to figure out what's good in your environment ...maybe remove all the water put the eggs back in and watch the humidity for a while if it doesn't get high enough then add a tbsp. at a time waiting an hour or so before deciding you need more...I have a few of the incubators with the hydrometer in the lid...the temp and humidity are quite different near the eggs

Hope I haven't confused you!!
bow.gif

Yes, thank you!! this is basically what I'm doing now.. I ran my bator for a whole week leading up it to make sure everything was good, and it was! It seems like adding the eggs threw off the humidity. I'm not sure if that is a real possibility but it seemed to happen at the same time..

Now, all the water is removed from the chambers and I sprinkled a little rice in the bottom to help absorb moisture.. here's a pic:

I'm leaving for the next 4-5 hours so I will check the humidity when I get back and let you know!! :)

I also have 2 eggs which sweated a little bit. They were detached air cells when i received them and today is day "3" (or 2.5) and they don't look like they are developing at all when I candle... could the 2 sweating eggs have boosted humidity that much? I WAS very careful to raise the egg temperature slowly, I am not sure if I caused the eggs to sweat, or if they were already too porous (the problem eggs were from 1 shipment that had mostly detached cells...)

Last edited:
Quote: I do know they eggs raised the humidity when they were added...I don't know if the detached air cells cause sweating...but they don't usually develop...some try to let them rest and see if the "heal" but I never get them to...I don't want to be discouraging, just realistic, if they went through enough to have some with detached air cells don't be surprised if few or none develop...I have some gorgeous blue splash wheaton eggs with the same issue...I think 2 are a go so far
fl.gif

Yes, thank you!! this is basically what I'm doing now.. I ran my bator for a whole week leading up it to make sure everything was good, and it was! It seems like adding the eggs threw off the humidity. I'm not sure if that is a real possibility but it seemed to happen at the same time.. Now, all the water is removed from the chambers and I sprinkled a little rice in the bottom to help absorb moisture.. here's a pic: I'm leaving for the next 4-5 hours so I will check the humidity when I get back and let you know!! :) I also have 2 eggs which sweated a little bit. They were detached air cells when i received them and today is day "3" (or 2.5) and they don't look like they are developing at all when I candle... could the 2 sweating eggs have boosted humidity that much? I WAS very careful to raise the egg temperature slowly, I am not sure if I caused the eggs to sweat, or if they were already too porous (the problem eggs were from 1 shipment that had mostly detached cells...)
I will try to be less disjointed in a bit but wanted to jump on real quick and mention that if you are using the temp/humidity reading from the dials that came with the bator they are likely meaningless. Mine read the temp as 7 degrees low and 20% too high on humidity. If I had believed it I would have been running my bator at 109 degrees and 25% humidity the first 18 days :(

I will try to be less disjointed in a bit but wanted to jump on real quick and mention that if you are using the temp/humidity reading from the dials that came with the bator they are likely meaningless. Mine read the temp as 7 degrees low and 20% too high on humidity. If I had believed it I would have been running my bator at 109 degrees and 25% humidity the first 18 days
sad.png

Oh yes! I have read that too.. I am using 3 therm/hygrometers! LOL!

The thermometer on the bator is way off, but the humidity seems to be accurate based on the other hygrometers in the incubator :)
I do know they eggs raised the humidity when they were added...I don't know if the detached air cells cause sweating...but they don't usually develop...some try to let them rest and see if the "heal" but I never get them to...I don't want to be discouraging, just realistic, if they went through enough to have some with detached air cells don't be surprised if few or none develop...I have some gorgeous blue splash wheaton eggs with the same issue...I think 2 are a go so far
fl.gif

Yes.. so sad :( I knew it was a risk of shipped eggs, so I did over-order to compensate.. I shipped eggs in from 3 different sources. 2 shipments were fine, perfect, just the 3rd shipment arrived damaged :(

I did let them rest a full 24 hours upright, hoping they would heal. I also read that if they develop, I should keep them upright (in an egg carton) during hatching. As opposed to setting them on the screen with the others. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you both so much for your help!! I don't know why it feels so.. nerve-wracking? Knowing that I am in charge of so many little lives. Just getting your input is already making me feel more at ease :)

Quote: I'm thinking that the upright hatching position is to try to encourage them to find their way to the top as many times shipped eggs have horrible air cells and cause the chicks to be malpositioned....I don't know if it would help??!! I don't do it that way...I try to do things as close to what a hen would as possible..."I" believe that laying them flat so they can maneuver and roll around, as they would in the nest, must be of benefit. I will say that the last few shipments of eggs has had a higher hatch rate...I'm positive due to the lower temps while shipping...during the summer months the heat was destroying the eggs.
th.gif

should I hope most of your eggs hatch or not?? lol you maybe over run with chicklets in a few weeks
lau.gif

oh I know about the little lives...if I lose one I'm crushed! but it happens!! it's part of it!

I was having trouble getting my chicks in the brooder warm enough.. it's in the high 70's in the house but even with the heat lamp I couldn't get the brooder over 80...I got a heating pad and put it under the brooder and put the heat lamp over them...finally it's about 91 and they all seem fine with that! little puddles of feathers all laying out sleeping!
love.gif

My 7 month old Light Sussex went broody a few weeks ago and we gave in and got some Cuckoo Maran eggs for her last week. Day 11 today!
I bought a Cuckoo Marans chick to keep a single hatched chick company but the chick didn't grow and he died this morning. The Cuckoo Marans if fine. He is so huge he is hanging out with my 3 week old Seramas.

That stinks too! I hated loosing ANY at ANY stage. Maybe I am not cut out for this incubating stuff. I get to attached! LOL

It is an awful feeling losing the eggs and chicks but just wait until that first chick hatches, any chick really. It is worth it. Don't give up.
Little Giant or something like that. It is a foam one.
I have one. It takes awhile to find the 'sweet spot' and the temp but once you do you rarely have to adjust. It takes awhile. It took me a month.

Yes, thank you!! this is basically what I'm doing now.. I ran my bator for a whole week leading up it to make sure everything was good, and it was! It seems like adding the eggs threw off the humidity. I'm not sure if that is a real possibility but it seemed to happen at the same time..

Now, all the water is removed from the chambers and I sprinkled a little rice in the bottom to help absorb moisture.. here's a pic:

I'm leaving for the next 4-5 hours so I will check the humidity when I get back and let you know!! :)

I also have 2 eggs which sweated a little bit. They were detached air cells when i received them and today is day "3" (or 2.5) and they don't look like they are developing at all when I candle... could the 2 sweating eggs have boosted humidity that much? I WAS very careful to raise the egg temperature slowly, I am not sure if I caused the eggs to sweat, or if they were already too porous (the problem eggs were from 1 shipment that had mostly detached cells...)
Eggs sweat when the temp changes quickly, like glasses. Oozing eggs means they are bad. Sweating goes away, oozing keeps going.

Back
Top Bottom