November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Alright, momma #2 has hatched a chick and another on it's way. I figured I'd let the chicks dry off and get their bearing before I placed them in with their siblings and momma #1 tonight. What I'm having a problem with is feeding. Momma 1 has her food bowl and I've placed a small bowl on the floor for the babies, but she goes to their bowl, dumps it all out and eats off the floor. I see the chicks eat and drink but it just makes such a mess and wastes precious food. Any suggests? I really don't want to bring them inside under the heat lamp and raise them myself.

the roosters do "their thing" the hens store "it"
roll.png
so it's the hens that...decide....lol....to actually fertilize
hmm.png
lau.gif

good luck with the rooster...don't forget to quarantine...and delouse
roll.png

how interesting :) I just had my day 7 candle! All of 2 types (BLR Wyandottes, Wellies/BCMs) look fantastic! But sadly, nearly all of the 3rd shipment (the one with half damaged air cells) appears to not be developing at all. :(

That means losing all the lavender orpingtons and swedish flower hens...
hit.gif
actually ONE of the SFH eggs under the broody looks quite dark, no veining yet, but I'm going to let it keep going.

I broke open 2 that looked "clear" to me and they were just yolk; no embryo development at all. Couldn't see a fertile blastodisc either, but it was incubated for 7 days, would it still be visible?
Would this be a case of infertile egg? or can this happen because of damage in shipment?

I will continue to leave the rest in until day 14 to be sure, but I can see for certain that 50% of them are clear, and the others just have a bit of a shadow where the yolk is; it's a little darker, but doesn't show the clear development I should see by day 7. waaah!
th.gif

Alright, momma #2 has hatched a chick and another on it's way. I figured I'd let the chicks dry off and get their bearing before I placed them in with their siblings and momma #1 tonight. What I'm having a problem with is feeding. Momma 1 has her food bowl and I've placed a small bowl on the floor for the babies, but she goes to their bowl, dumps it all out and eats off the floor. I see the chicks eat and drink but it just makes such a mess and wastes precious food. Any suggests? I really don't want to bring them inside under the heat lamp and raise them myself.
Your hen is doing what is normal...scratching the food for the chicks
and in doing so, teaching them how to scratch for food on their own.
Hope you can just let her do her job.......
big_smile.png

I need some help with candling. I have 12 eggs in the incubator - day 7 today. It looks like I have several non-starters, and maybe some early quitters. Six are pretty dark Maran eggs, so I'm not making any speculations about those. So what do these look like?

Would you say this is an early quitter?

Is this a blood ring?

And this is a Maran egg - but what is with the 3 shades in layers?

Yep I agree witb the rest! One is a quitrer and the othere to look good! I had one that looked like ur first one and it was dead!

try so warm water on the food enough to make it not loose so it doesn't spill so bad

Back
Top Bottom