November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Another one has hatched! I also have one more that has pipped. Back to watching the show, 14 left.
pop.gif

12 of mine hatched. There are still 19 more eggs that haven't hatched. Today is day 22. I candled a few of them today and some seemed to look like that they will hatch in a few days. And some I couldn't see into them at all. So I was wondering how long to wait past 21 days to allow to hatch? Also I know I have read somewhere that you can help the chicks out of the shell. Is this a good idea or not?

Hannah in OK

let them go put not past 30 days, no do not help them out of the shell I did that and here is what I got. I also tried to help him after born, his back was broke, he only lasted a week, I hand feed and put peck in water, but it was so hard to find him lifeless in the morning. I did have one come on the 30th day she was little and I keep her away from the others for about a mth.

12 of mine hatched. There are still 19 more eggs that haven't hatched. Today is day 22. I candled a few of them today and some seemed to look like that they will hatch in a few days. And some I couldn't see into them at all. So I was wondering how long to wait past 21 days to allow to hatch? Also I know I have read somewhere that you can help the chicks out of the shell. Is this a good idea or not?

Hannah in OK
wait at least until the 25 or 26th day unless you smell them
if your asking about opening the shells because they haven't hatched I highly recommend you don't!!!!
there are several reasons why they may hatch later than 21 or 22 days...1 reason is just because due dates are only estimates...
pop.gif

Day 14. Weighed those that are left, pulled one definite quitter. Last night I pulled one Marans that had a blood ring but no identifiable embryo. Tonight's quitter was probably many days ago, just about the size of a peanut without the shell. Will open it up tomorrow, too tired tonight to look at a dead chick. This was the one that had lost 14.65% of its weight by day 7 and weighed way less than it should have tonight. The count: 29 set, 11 infertile, 2 quitters, 16 left. Aargh!

Back
Top Bottom